Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1957 chev. replacement wiring harness

Registered Member

Member #:3799

1957 chev. replacement wiring harness

Who makes the best, and most accurate, complete replacement wiring harness for a 1957 Chevrolet passenger car?

Member #:115
    American Autowire. If you're looking for an accurate original replacement, they have it. They also offer a "Classic Update" harness that includes modern modifications like an alternator and fuse panel., among other things.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:3477
    CN is correct if you want a direct fit plug and play.

I installed one in a 48 Chevy PU and I didnt like the quality however. I installed a Painless harness in a 66 Nova and felt the same way. They were OK but not great, and the instructions came in indiviual sheets.

In my Hotrod builds I use Kwik Wire. It just is generally better quality IMO than the Factory Fit (American Autowire) or Painless Harnesses. The fuse block has a stainless cover and an ignition kill switch. The wire lengths are good, the instruction booklet is spiral bound and you get good quality extras. These guys are always at Carlisle and you can see their stuff.

For additional parts also try Ron Francis- good quality. I also believe they have harnesses for Tri-fives.

But again if you want to just plug and play, follow CN's advice.

Scorp

Registered Member carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)'s Avatar

Member #:33
    as stated, most will recommend AAW.
    ARMY NAM VET, very proud!

56 210 4dr

drive and enjoy them while you work on them, life is to short.

Registered Member

Hey thanks , for the important information on the wiring harness. A complete wiring harness is not something that I want to pay my restorer friend to install, only to find out that their was a better quality wire harness available. This is a very high quality restoration that my friend is doing on my 1957 Nomad. He has had at least 6 restorations featured in Hemming classic car magazine, and I am glad to have him to do the restoration. The Nomad was a nice original number's matching car to begin with. I have purchased a nice set of original 57 power- Pac heads, an original 4 barrel air cleaner a correct re-built 4 barrel distributor with the correct advance weights, car was originally a two barrel set up. It's sometimes easy to just make a large order from a major parts supplier , but to have you guys at: Tri-fives help,me and pick and choose who has the best re-pro parts when needed, will make the restoration better. I have already bought NOS Delco fuse box panel, Turn signal switch, Ignition switch, headlight switch, heater blower switch, horn relay, etc... etc.. etc..thanks again for the help! Carl thanks for your service, and every one should try and buy only "America made products" or we will all soon pay the price.
    Last edited by nomad; 03-23-2019 at 08:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nomad View Post
    It's sometimes easy to just make a large order from a major parts supplier
    It's possible that your preferred supplier carries the AAW harness. Danchuk does.... https://www.danchuk.com/ItemForm.aspx?Item=414

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member

Member #:571
    There is a huge difference between AAW and the others mentioned. AAW comes with most wires terminated, and includes several parts that won't be in the others, because they are universal kits, rather than 55-57 specific. The only reason to use a universal kit is if you're moving some of the components or adding things that wouldn't be in a stock or near stock car. With a universal kit, you'll have to terminate virtually every wire.

Or you could try this....LOL!

20190228_005.JPG

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member

Member #:3477
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    There is a huge difference between AAW and the others mentioned. AAW comes with most wires terminated, and includes several parts that won't be in the others, because they are universal kits, rather than 55-57 specific. The only reason to use a universal kit is if you're moving some of the components or adding things that wouldn't be in a stock or near stock car. With a universal kit, you'll have to terminate virtually every wire.
    Rick your right and I still hated the AAW kit. Maybe because I just want my stuff a certain way- but in comparison, laying them out, the AAW just seemed cheaper.

Different strokes.....

Scorp

Registered Member

Wow that's a lot of wires! I am just looking for the best Quality , closest to OEM original complete wire harness for my 1957 Nomad that money can buy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast