Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 56 Hood - Smoothie Conversion

Registered Member

Member #:3797

56 Hood - Smoothie Conversion

Who's converted their 56 hood to a smoothie and eliminated the bird?
    Specifically, how did you address mounting the inside hood latch assembly without using the bird holes? Did you simply weld that to the hood and close the holes or weld threaded studs to the bottom of the hood and bolt the latch assembly to the studs. I understand there is much more involved regarding flattening the raised area where the bird mounts. Also know they make repro smoothies for the 56 but, want to use what I have. All suggestions welcome.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    I wouldn't weld anything to the underside of the hood if I could help it.

Member #:115
    I think the "bird" is iconic and I personally like them...that's what makes these cars classic imo. I put a new one on my Nomad.

If you insist on deleting it, I would just weld the holes up and forget about it. The braces will work fine without the hood bird.

20190115_006.JPG
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:3
    Dumb question ?,

I have always called that part the Plane. Is it a Bird or a Plane ?

Sid

1955 2 DR Post
    1937 Chevy Coupe
    2023 Ford Super Duty F350 TREMOR
    2019 Corvette Z06
    1955 Chevy Nomad
    1935 Ford 2dr Slant back I have 4

Registered Member

I've always liked the smoothies over the bird for a street rod but, that's just my taste. I've seen quite a few smoothed but, never able to see how they secure the rear part of the hood latch housing as there are two holes that are secured by the rear mounting studs of the bird. Without the bolts from the bird, that housing or latch mounting bracket would be lose. The bird also sets on a raised area of the hood in the shape of the bird base. That needs to be flattened to the contour of the hood. The ridge also needs to be extended and tapered to the front of the hood where the bird sat. At the end of the day, it's a fair amount of fabrication just to eliminate the bird. Probably why they have been available for the 55's for awhile and finally available for the 56's within the last year or so. I'm going to research further cutting into the hood.

Chevynut's hood turned out very nice!

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by 56Chris View Post
    never able to see how they secure the rear part of the hood latch housing as there are two holes that are secured by the rear mounting studs of the bird. Without the bolts from the bird, that housing or latch mounting bracket would be lose.
    The back end of that brace attaches to the hood cross-brace so it shouldn't really be "loose". I'm not sure if they intended for the brace to be secured by the bird or if they just needed holes in it to mount the bird. I assume the latter. I modified my latch assembly and attached it to a custom hood brace with screws. I think it would be fine without the hood bird studs through it.

20190115_003.JPG

20190115_005.JPG

The bird also sets on a raised area of the hood in the shape of the bird base. That needs to be flattened to the contour of the hood. The ridge also needs to be extended and tapered to the front of the hood where the bird sat. At the end of the day, it's a fair amount of fabrication just to eliminate the bird. Probably why they have been available for the 55's for awhile and finally available for the 56's within the last year or so.
    I've seen it done by cutting out the bird area and replacing it with flat steel, and I've seen it done by heating and hammering the area flat. Either way is going to take some fancy metalworking, especially re-peaking the hood. It can be done. I think the repop hood would save a lot of work, and possibly a trashed hood. Only you know your skill level.

Chevynut's hood turned out very nice!
    Thanks!
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Chevynut - Those are the kind of underside photos I've been looking for! Thanks! I've seen it done several ways but, none of them easy. There is a shop here in Nebraska that does some outstanding work called Restore a Muscle Car. https://www.restoreamusclecar.com/restore . If you check out their site, go to Our Work and scroll through until you find a blue and silver 56. They have over 2700 build photos . Sorry I can't provide an exact link to the photo but, I'm on my kindle without java which is needed to see the photos. They kept the car mostly stock looking but, they've performed many customizations with some excellent metal work. Including removing the entire roof to shave gutters, etc. I've seen this car in person several times and it's some the finest metal work I've ever seen. I've followed some of your work in your photo album and thought you might appreciate some some of the things they've done. Start scrolling backwards to get to pics of how they shaved the hood. I enjoy the fabrication part of building and always looking for new things to learn. Thanks again for the pics.

Registered Member

Member #:2764
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    I think the "bird" is iconic and I personally like them...that's what makes these cars classic imo. I put a new one on my Nomad.
    OMG. As far as you like to go away from stock, that's a shock. You actually used the word "classic". But it figures because our tastes are completely different, I don't have a bird on the 55. It doesn't go with the hot rod theme.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member

Member #:2764
    Quote Originally Posted by 567chevys View Post
    Dumb question ?,

I have always called that part the Plane. Is it a Bird or a Plane ?

Sid
    It's Superman!

OK, it's a plane that everyone calls a bird because that sounds cooler.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Registered Member

Member #:571
    I'm not sure if they intended for the brace to be secured by the bird or if they just needed holes in it to mount the bird. I assume the latter.
    When I first replied I didn't know exactly what the underside of the hood looked like an a 56, but Cnut's photo makes the bird and latch brace attachment clear. Just as a point of reference, the outer bird screws on a 55 don't go through the latch brace - they are a bit more outboard and only go through the hood itself. So I don't think the latch brace needs those screws.

I think MP&C nosed a 55 hood in an article years back. Might be worth a search to get info and discussion. The 56 is a bit more work as the 55 doesn't have the raised area under the bird wings.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast