Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: SUN Blueline Gauges

Registered Member

Member #:3477

SUN Blueline Gauges

So I did it. I stupidly bought a set of SUN Blueline 2 5/8" Gauges (oil and Temp) and a SUN Super tach 8K and another at 10k at Spring Carlisle. Of course no sender for the 260 Degree Water Temp Gauge. Then I started looking for one when I got home, I found the Holy Grail, The Arc of the Covenant and Amelia Airheart but not a sender to be found. At least not one in a normal guy's price range.

So I am asking this wise corral of Chevy Fans and parts hoarders here. Any one have one? I did some light research and it seems they are a bit specific to the Gauge and I am not equipped right now to figure out how to test and determine a common substitute. So can anyone help?

And BTW, Kwik Wire had a huge set up at the manufacturers Midway and their stuff again was toatlly boss, and they continue to come out with new stuff, including a magnetic fastener set for a fuse block that lets it go anywhere and those magnets really hold it. I know the AAW and EZ wire fans still hold court, but the KW guys deserve a look. Not a shill, but I am rarely impressed and their stuff is just nice.

Now about that SUN sender....

Scorp

Banned

Member #:2775
    IDK about the sender, but the blueline SUN gauges where the best and I had a few long ago. Mine where all mechanical, and I always had a Sun vacuum gauge. Autometer should reproduce them.
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 04-25-2019 at 05:12 PM.

Registered Member

Williamsons will convert the eletrical to a mechanical but I would prefer not to run the capillary tubing. I am not using the factory water temp either.

There is a guy on who supposedly repops the senders at $140. Ouch.

But boy do they look right in the 55.

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpion1110 View Post
    Williamsons will convert the eletrical to a mechanical but I would prefer not to run the capillary tubing. I am not using the factory water temp either.
    I did a search and found this which might help.

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/45-...mp-sender.html

Based on this info they're using a thermistor with a negative temperature coefficient....resistance decreases as temperature increases. According to the data they use a thermistor with a temperature coefficient of -59.8 ohms per degree F over the range tested if it's correct, but resistance is usually non-linear.

Here's a spec from Autometer for one of their senders...

The AutoMeter 100 to 250 degree, short sweep temperature gauge uses a specification of 1123 ohms of resistance to ground to = 100 degrees F, and 65 ohms of resistance to ground to = 250 degrees F.

This Autometer sender has a temperature coefficient of -7.05 ohms per degree F over that range so it clearly won't work. Here's some more but I don't see compatible one.

https://www.autometer.com/sensor_specs

If you could find one that's around -60 ohms/F over that range it should work.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    I did a search and found this which might help.

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/45-...mp-sender.html

Based on this info they're using a thermistor with a negative temperature coefficient....resistance decreases as temperature increases. According to the data they use a thermistor with a temperature coefficient of -59.8 ohms per degree F over the range tested if it's correct, but resistance is usually non-linear.

Here's a spec from Autometer for one of their senders...

The AutoMeter 100 to 250 degree, short sweep temperature gauge uses a specification of 1123 ohms of resistance to ground to = 100 degrees F, and 65 ohms of resistance to ground to = 250 degrees F.

This Autometer sender has a temperature coefficient of -7.05 ohms per degree F over that range so it clearly won't work. Here's some more but I don't see compatible one.

https://www.autometer.com/sensor_specs

If you could find one that's around -60 ohms/F over that range it should work.
    CN

If you could find the right interchange, you would help a bunch of car guys based on the posts I read.

The guy who seems to have it decided to take the high buck route at $140+shipping. And NOS senders on Ebay are absurd. I understand economics but still.

I am reading what you posted and trying to figure it out, but I am wired for finance and not an engineer.

Thanks,

Scorp

Registered Member

Member #:2579
    I once had a set of Sun green line gauges and had the same trouble. Will Williamson's not convert the electric gauge to use a different electric sensor? I had called them and I thought the guy said he could, but that's been a few years ago. I believe they also said they could rewire the tach I had to work with my MSD ignition and get away from the original transducer it had. I ended up selling mine off and buying Auto Meters.