Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: 57 Bel Air Front Clip Assemble

Registered Member

Member #:3902

57 Bel Air Front Clip Assemble

Bought my Bel Air with front clip disassembled and have replaced splash pan, radiator support filler panels and other parts with repops. Shop is now assembling front end and have a question. Is there a sheet metal piece that would fit behind the headlight bucket and at front of fresh air intake tube. Mechanic says he thinks we are missing the piece that should fill that space. I have the assebly book and can't find the part he thinks should be there. I know this is vague and this front clip assembly is a real jigsaw puzzle, but I am tossing this out to see if I can get responses. Have looked everywhere and do not see any of the aftermarket retailers showing sheet metal to fit the area described. Hopefully, there is a front clip genius out there that can help.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    I don't know the details of the part you're looking for - but the headlight is 7" and the air inlet is outside of the headlight bulb. The tubing is about 4", so indeed there has to be a transition piece like you describe.

Look at the assembly manual, section 1, sheet 13. The front duct runs from the headlight area to a bulkhead approximately over the front wheel.
    Last edited by Rick_L; 04-29-2019 at 05:14 PM.

Member #:3217
    Here is a scan of the page Rick referenced (Sec 1 sheet 13).. showing the ventilator duct over the headlight... If you don't have a passenger car Assembly Manual for 1957, you can download it off the web...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member

Member #:3902
    Thanks for the help Rick and Bama. The metal I need is called the "skirt filler panel". Back to the search, but this is the final piece to the front clip!