Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: Headers/Generator Mounting

Registered Member

Member #:3902

Headers/Generator Mounting

I've decided to run long tube headers on my 57 283, and hit a snag. I now have the probelm of mounting the generator/PS pump which originally mounted to the ram horn man. I've seen brackets to mount an alternator with headers, but nothing for a generator/PS. Anyone know of one available. Could convert to alternator but then PS becomes a costly problem.

Member #:115
    IMO I'd do the alternator upgrade regardless. The stock generator is woefully inadequate if you add much of anything electrical to the car, even a headlight upgrade, since they only put out around 25 amps. Adding PS shouldn't be that expensive if you scrounge junk yard parts.

If you HAVE TO keep the generator, it seems like it would be easy to make a bracket that works.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:2764
    I believe I still have just what you are looking for. If I find it I'll post a pic. Seems as if I saw them somewhere else and they weren't that scarce.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Member #:615
    If you are still running the original style front motor mounts there is a bracket to install a later model power steering pump to your engine.

53-27.jpg

There is a complete kit with this bracket.

x53-44.jpg.pagespeed.ic.a817N0jU08.jpg

Check with this guy. He is a trifive power steering expert... /authenticautomotive.net
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member

Member #:3477
    I have a 283 in my 55 wagon. While it now has ramshorns which use an Alan Grove bracket mounting the alternator on the passenger side, when it had headers, I used the bracket Tabasco is recommending to handle the PS pump and used a standard bracket that mounts off the header flange with an arm coming off the water pump. I had some to make up some spacers for belt alignment but it was all pretty simple.

I would recommend that you check Alan Grove as well as Summit. CN is right though, switch the generator and use an alternator. (BTW thats twice in one week I have agreed with you CN, but I think with therapy I can deal with it