Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Classic Edge Designs, LLC Prime Custom Cars, LLC MadMooks
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lowes

Registered Member

Member #:2764
    As far as tool quality goes, Lowes Kobalt tools are not usually that great. It seems as though they use cheap steel but more of it. This makes their tools big and bulky. I buy some of it since they are just over a mile from my house. I think I missed out big time when they added the cheaper craftsman stuff, they usually mark down the Kobalt tools way down. I don't know if it's been addressed, but is Lowes accepting older Craftsman tool replacements for broken ones? Long ago I bought a fair amount of Snap On tools, since they had the truck stopping where I worked (not an automotive shop). The very fine electronic series of tools has gone the way of Kobalt, but not as bad. The delicate hand tools have become replaced with bigger and bulkier tools, so when exchanging them for new, I don't get what I paid for. Plus the tool trucks don't have the stuff I want to be replaced and they don't seem to worry about it when I'm exchanging more tools than I'm buying. So I have to ship the broken tools to snap on for replacement. I have found it to be better and cheaper in the long run to buy certain tools, like fine little *dikes* (diagonal wire cutters).cheap as crap from china and toss it in the steel scrap pile when it's shot. Always have a "fresh" pair ready to go. It's sad, but no other way I know of to keep good tools at fair prices. It just popped in my head, I have a socket and ratchet set from 1979, SK brand. Good quality tools. I shipped them a couple things for exchange, the one replacement item that stands out is a simple ratchet extension. I like to turn the extension around the knurled part when it's loose because it's faster. Well their new one sucks. The knurled part of it is pretty much just for looks, not for actual use to grip it better. Sad. I had forgot to complain when I got it, but one of these days I may put in a call just to tell them that I noticed their quality going downhill.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Member #:3477
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    That's pretty extreme. What are you supposed to do if you're an 18 year old trying to acquire his first tools? Or someone of any age who can't afford the best, or even the medium quality stuff? And even the best stuff isn't 100% US or European made. The answer isn't do without tools and hire someone to work on your car or house. That's even more expensive. So you do what you have to do.

Also, Bama Nomad's comments were about industry. That's where the boss says get sources from Asia. You don't have a say in that if you're the employee. I've been there and done that. Sometimes that works out, sometimes it doesn't. Usually there's a price to be paid in scrap, missed schedules, etc. as well as warranty work, and a hundred other things. But there are items that can be sourced from Asia that do cost less. The boss has to be the one that learns, and make good decisions about what makes sense to outsource and what not to.

Also, as a general statement, if you tell the Chinese you want good stuff made to some standard, you tell them just that. They will comply.
    I have heard that; that the Chinese build to the production standard that they are told. So if its a US company/brand selling Chinese stuff thats junk, its probably because thats what was asked for.

As I said earlier as a guy just trying to build a set, I would buy used Snapon, MAC, MATCO, Cornwell from the used tool guys. You can build a good set that way, they tend to be exchangeable and they wont break the bank.

If you want new you are paying for quality.
    Last edited by scorpion1110; 05-13-2019 at 03:21 PM. Reason: cant spell chinese
    Scorp

Rides:

1955 Chevy 2-door Wagon
    1967 MGB GT
    1970 Honda Trail 70
    1974 Yamaha 175 Enduro
    2004 Tacoma 4x4

I lost my best friend on 10/3/2018. Rest in Peace Dear Lucy. I miss you everyday.

Member #:3477
    Quote Originally Posted by 55 Tony View Post
    As far as tool quality goes, Lowes Kobalt tools are not usually that great. It seems as though they use cheap steel but more of it. This makes their tools big and bulky. I buy some of it since they are just over a mile from my house. I think I missed out big time when they added the cheaper craftsman stuff, they usually mark down the Kobalt tools way down. I don't know if it's been addressed, but is Lowes accepting older Craftsman tool replacements for broken ones? Long ago I bought a fair amount of Snap On tools, since they had the truck stopping where I worked (not an automotive shop). The very fine electronic series of tools has gone the way of Kobalt, but not as bad. The delicate hand tools have become replaced with bigger and bulkier tools, so when exchanging them for new, I don't get what I paid for. Plus the tool trucks don't have the stuff I want to be replaced and they don't seem to worry about it when I'm exchanging more tools than I'm buying. So I have to ship the broken tools to snap on for replacement. I have found it to be better and cheaper in the long run to buy certain tools, like fine little *dikes* (diagonal wire cutters).cheap as crap from china and toss it in the steel scrap pile when it's shot. Always have a "fresh" pair ready to go. It's sad, but no other way I know of to keep good tools at fair prices. It just popped in my head, I have a socket and ratchet set from 1979, SK brand. Good quality tools. I shipped them a couple things for exchange, the one replacement item that stands out is a simple ratchet extension. I like to turn the extension around the knurled part when it's loose because it's faster. Well their new one sucks. The knurled part of it is pretty much just for looks, not for actual use to grip it better. Sad. I had forgot to complain when I got it, but one of these days I may put in a call just to tell them that I noticed their quality going downhill.
    I always thought about saving my junk broke craftsman stuff (when I was buying and breaking) and then putting in a box and sending to the CEO with a note.
    Scorp

Rides:

1955 Chevy 2-door Wagon
    1967 MGB GT
    1970 Honda Trail 70
    1974 Yamaha 175 Enduro
    2004 Tacoma 4x4

I lost my best friend on 10/3/2018. Rest in Peace Dear Lucy. I miss you everyday.

Registered Member

Member #:4017
    The opinions might be a bit different if the very job you have is taken over by a chinaman. We can’t keep expecting to get things outside the USA and expect to maintain the pay levels currently enjoyed forever. The high incomes here are not paid for by china. An unbalance of money is still going out of the country.

i never acquired all the tool I have at once. It was years of acquisition. American public has no patients, they want everything now. Just as a side note most everybody I know has acquired some portion of their tools as hand me downs in one form or another. Old used tools are generally perfectly adequate and less costly to acquire.

Registered Member

Member #:3360
    Scorp you are correct, I made my living for 45yrs turning wrench's. I couldn't be out in the boon docks working on a machine and have tools breaking. It took a long time to get the tool box where it is today. If a guy can find someone retiring from the mechanical trade they can get a great deal on tools for about 1/4 of the price of new. My box was made up of little of everything, Mac, Snap-on, S&K, Wright, Husky. and some off the wall stuff that I would alter for certain hard to reach place's and didn't want to cut a good tool and if you have ever had the chrome peal off a cheap tool and cut you, you'll know what I mean. Take your time and buy good tools you'll be glad you did. Scorp also good luck with your health, my prayer's are with you and all of us that have had the big C and this site is always a delight to read. GOD BLESS US ALL.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12