Thread: Lowes

Member #:3

Lowes

Went to Lowes Sunday to buy some screwdrivers ,

The Lowes Brand is Kobalt

They Now Carry craftsman tools and Product ,

So Craftsman is few bucks more ,

I bought the craftsman's Brand .

Got Home and went to remove them from the package and wow on the back it says MADE IN CHINA

So IMO they are Now JUNK shit

Look at the 4 way key chain screwdriver

The one that is USA is My dads old one
    The Other One is Chinese Junk

Sid
    Attached Images Attached Images

1955 2 DR Post
    1937 Chevy Coupe
    2019 Ford Suoer Duty F350
    2018 Ford Explorer
    1955 Chevy Nomad
    1934 Plymouth PE Coupe

Member #:3217
    We (consumers) chase cheap prices, so we basically have forced manufacturers to looks for less expensive means of production; for the past 20-30-40? years, that's been asia. My last project as an engineer I was 'forced' to go to Asia to get the cabling and plastic parts of the product produced. Cost of production was ~ 1/4 to 1/3 of production in the US and that difference can be $Millions in production cost and in the tooling!

Trying to convince management that there are $costs associated with problems in tooling and product when buying from Asia can be very difficult as the quantification of those costs are more difficult to foresee and demonstrate to mgt when in early product phases...

Member #:33
    that is a shame, not what they use to be.
    ARMY NAM VET, very proud!

56 210 4dr

drive and enjoy them while you work on them, life is to short.

Member #:3477
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    We (consumers) chase cheap prices, so we basically have forced manufacturers to looks for less expensive means of production; for the past 20-30-40? years, that's been asia. My last project as an engineer I was 'forced' to go to Asia to get the cabling and plastic parts of the product produced. Cost of production was ~ 1/4 to 1/3 of production in the US and that difference can be $Millions in production cost and in the tooling!

Trying to convince management that there are $costs associated with problems in tooling and product when buying from Asia can be very difficult as the quantification of those costs are more difficult to foresee and demonstrate to mgt when in early product phases...
    So with the traiffs and the increasing prospect of trade disagreements, can we expect to pay more for the cheap china stuff? Thats seems the be the way things work out in the new age. Pay more for less and you'd better like it or else.

Funny thing about craftsman stuff. I used to break the later produced made in USA stuff frequently. I would throw it in a bucket and eventually head to Sears for replacement. Then I got tired of the stuff breaking so i started buying, used Snap-on Mac, Matco and Cornwell from the used tool guys. Ran about 50% of retail, and wasnt priced far from the new craftsman stuff at the time. Eventually had a pretty complete set of the used higher end stuff- and I noticed I didnt break it much, save for a 1/2 ratchet that needed a rebuild.

Then I made friends with a Snapon guy, he started bringing his truck to my house on Friday nights, Id invite friends over. We eat pizza and drink and buy stuff off the truck. I ended up with two new boxes with stainless tops and a lot more. But the new stuff was expensive even when buying specials.

It was waaay too many beers that led to buying my Fluke meter that was stupidly expensive. But you know the Snapon guys, credit is available and other brands are marked up and on the truck.

I still have some very old craftsman and proto stuff that seems to be of equal quality, but when I buy its going to be either Snapon or Mac whenever possible.

Scorp
    Scorp

Rides:

1955 Chevy 2-door Wagon
    1967 MGB GT
    1970 Honda Trail 70
    1974 Yamaha 175 Enduro
    2004 Tacoma 4x4

I lost my best friend on 10/3/2018. Rest in Peace Dear Lucy. I miss you everyday.

Member #:115
    The good news is that the quality of Chinese stuff is getting better and better as time goes by. Their rubber is still shit, but the steel seems to be better. It's up to US companies to force them to make better products using better materials for them. Do you guys remember when everything from Japan was junk? Now they build some of the best stuff in the world. And it's not cheap anymore....I am a frequent HF customer. Their tools for the most part do what I need for a fraction of the price. I still buy Craftsman hand tools, though.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

You can see my 56 Nomad build here http://www.picturetrail.com/chevynut

For affordable C4 Corvette Suspension conversions for your car, visit http://www.classicedgedesigns.com

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Over the last 10-15 years Sears had two or more levels of tools, some Chinese, some US. The stuff was usually marked. I ended up getting a couple of Chinese replacements because the store didn't carry the tool I broke (though they were still in the catalog). They've worked OK.

Now that Stanley owns Craftsman there's going to be more changes. They also own Mac. I don't think they will let the Craftsman line drop too much, the brand still means something, and will for a while. I do notice recently that the old style Craftsman tool chests and roll arounds are no longer, and the new products are quite different. That's ok, Harbor Freight was beating their tails on these products.

I also notice that over the last 2-3 years, HF has brought the quality and workmanship up a bunch on their wrenches, sockets, and ratchets.

Registered Member

Member #:4017
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post

I can’t agree totally. I look for MADE IN USA first not price. See we Americans want higher wages and more coverage but want everything we buy cheap. It makes no sense. You can’t have the highest wages and offer the lowest cost. Americans are not loyal to American products, they are loyal to only low cost. SAD

America needs to demand American products but be willing to pay more. After all higher wages demands higher costs. It’s simple. When I was working I refused to source company parts from outside the USA. All you need to do is push back. Expose the one’s attempting to “force” asia parts. Put it in the news if you have to. By the way Chinese tooling is pure junk.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    That's pretty extreme. What are you supposed to do if you're an 18 year old trying to acquire his first tools? Or someone of any age who can't afford the best, or even the medium quality stuff? And even the best stuff isn't 100% US or European made. The answer isn't do without tools and hire someone to work on your car or house. That's even more expensive. So you do what you have to do.

Also, Bama Nomad's comments were about industry. That's where the boss says get sources from Asia. You don't have a say in that if you're the employee. I've been there and done that. Sometimes that works out, sometimes it doesn't. Usually there's a price to be paid in scrap, missed schedules, etc. as well as warranty work, and a hundred other things. But there are items that can be sourced from Asia that do cost less. The boss has to be the one that learns, and make good decisions about what makes sense to outsource and what not to.

Also, as a general statement, if you tell the Chinese you want good stuff made to some standard, you tell them just that. They will comply.
    Last edited by Rick_L; 05-12-2019 at 06:01 PM.

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by Gmvette View Post
    America needs to demand American products but be willing to pay more. After all higher wages demands higher costs. It’s simple. When I was working I refused to source company parts from outside the USA. All you need to do is push back. Expose the one’s attempting to “force” asia parts. Put it in the news if you have to. By the way Chinese tooling is pure junk.
    I disagree. American companies need to try to figure out how to compete in the world markets again. The American labor unions screwed up our competitiveness over decades of demanding and extorting more wages and benefits from employers. All that happens when union workers get paid more, is the cost of everything goes up, and then everyone else demands more pay, and then the unions want more again...it's a never-ending spiral. UPS has automatic annual wage increases because of their union BS...that translates into higher costs on everything, pushing up inflation. All it does is cost the consumer more, transferring money to the union workers. I'll pay more for quality IF I NEED IT. I don't buy the best, highest priced tools because I don't need them. If I need or WANT the best, I'll buy the best.....and I want the ability to exercise my right to choose.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

You can see my 56 Nomad build here http://www.picturetrail.com/chevynut

For affordable C4 Corvette Suspension conversions for your car, visit http://www.classicedgedesigns.com

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:2764
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    I disagree. American companies need to try to figure out how to compete in the world markets again. The American labor unions screwed up our competitiveness over decades of demanding and extorting more wages and benefits from employers. All that happens when union workers get paid more, is the cost of everything goes up, and then everyone else demands more pay, and then the unions want more again...it's a never-ending spiral. UPS has automatic annual wage increases because of their union BS...that translates into higher costs on everything, pushing up inflation. All it does is cost the consumer more, transferring money to the union workers. I'll pay more for quality IF I NEED IT. I don't buy the best, highest priced tools because I don't need them. If I need or WANT the best, I'll buy the best.....and I want the ability to exercise my right to choose.
    It seems every year or so I agree with ChevyNut. The unions screwed us big time. There is nothing I like better than hearing about a union strike and the company decides to close their doors. F them if they want outrageous pay and benefits. I do hate to see a business go abroad, but that is what the unions cause to happen. So F the unions and what they have done and what they continue to do.
    Tony

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast