Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: Rust remover

Member #:3

Rust remover

I have seen a few Times People talking about Removing Rust , Most of the time its a joke

I was told about a product called Metal Rescue , So I bought some .

I went last night Poured some into a 1 Gallon Pail

Threw in some really rusty eye Bolts and a long rusty Allen wrench .

Went down tonight and I will say I'm sold on the stuff

Sid
    Attached Images Attached Images

1955 2 DR Post
    1937 Chevy Coupe
    2023 Ford Super Duty F350 TREMOR
    2019 Corvette Z06
    1955 Chevy Nomad
    1935 Ford 2dr Slant back I have 4

Member #:3217
    Metal Rescue is a good product, but generally only available at large car shows (I bought a couple gallons at Carlisle many years ago). More recently I have been purchasing 'EvapoRust', which is available thru Harbor Freight and thru Amazon. Harbor Freight is similarly priced to the Metal Rescue, whereas Amazon Prime gets free shipping and a better price...
    https://www.amazon.com/Evapo-Rust-Or...W7CWMSQ9NQM0YF

I find both these products to be similar.

To get the best results from either product, follow these guidelines:
    1) Keep the product closed up and put it in non-metallic containers when derusting, preferable with a top.
    2) You only need to use enough to cover the items, so having a variety of 'non-metallic' containers available to 'fit' your rusted items is a good idea.
    3) The warmer the product is the better it works (don't heat it, just keep it in a warm place), or sit your derusting container in the sun works well.
    4) You can reuse the product, but when it begins to collect the rust residue, it's effectively is reduced.
    5) Don't mix 'used' product with new product. Keep them separated. I use an older Evaporust container to keep my 'used material and label the jug (USED)...
    6) The product life will be longer if you can 'derust' using other means prior to using the product. Scrape, wire-brush, etc. and clean grease/oils off the items before using the derusting product.

Registered Member carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)'s Avatar

Member #:33
    thanks for info.
    ARMY NAM VET, very proud!

56 210 4dr

drive and enjoy them while you work on them, life is to short.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Do the "de-rusted" parts have a phosphate or similar coating? Do they flash rust immediately if not processed further?

Member #:115
    I've been using "Milkstone Rinse" from Tractor Supply and it works good. Pretty much all of these rust removers are Phosphoric Acid mixes.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Pretty much all of these rust removers are Phosphoric Acid mixes.
    That's true. But I have two bottles of stuff I got somewhere years ago, same brand. One acts like Ospho, Picklex, Naval Jelly, etc. and leaves a brownish phosphate coating that's stable. The other attacks rust more vigorously, but when done it offers absolutely no protection against flash rust. I think that one is straight phosphoric acid.

Just curious what these others do.

Member #:3217
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    Do the "de-rusted" parts have a phosphate or similar coating? Do they flash rust immediately if not processed further?
    No, they don't appear to have a phosphate coating, and they aren't bad about 'flash rusting' immediately (even in humid Alabama). I do not think the two products (Metal Rescue and Evaporust) are phosphoric acid based, as you can keep your hands in it indefinitely and it doesn't have the odor. I talked to the son of the inventor of Metal Rescue for probably an hour before I bought a couple of gallons from him; I began with the same assumptions that you guys are making (it has to be acid based?), but he said No... I asked him if he would drink it (because it seems to be very benign). Of course he said he would not drink it or recommend drinking it, Nor would I! But he would not share it's chemical makeup. A few years later I discovered the evaporust brand which seems to be of similar makeup. Evaporust at HG if over $25 (minus any discount you can get), but thru Amazon a gallon is less than $18... the best deal I've found. Over the past 10 yrs, I used the 2 gallons of Metal Rescue and probably 10-20 gallons of Evaporust. I use it mostly for smaller items, but I did derust my Z28 driveshaft with it (Using a 4" PVC tube capped off at one end). It removed the surface rust and left the orange/blue/white stripes on the shaft). This link is to the thread on CRG which discussed that...

http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.p...2088#msg122088

Gary
    Last edited by BamaNomad; 05-07-2019 at 04:59 PM.

Banned

Member #:2775
    I took a set of rusty C4 rotors, wire wheeled off the worst of it, and threw them in a covered plastic tub and let them sit for about 3 days. Rinsed them off, and sprayed them down with WD-40 right away. Was able to just wipe off most the flash rust, and a hit with a wire wheel. Cheap and safe enough to put on your salad and eat it too.
    20160709_153255.jpg20160711_111721.jpg20160711_120621.jpg

Registered Member

Member #:1806
    Phosporic Acid will attack metal at a very slow rate, that is how it etches metal, but it attacks alum alloys much faster and will destroy them. I don't know about metal rescue, but evaporust does not have acid and is harmless to all metals. Evaporust also has a predetermined life span, and acid does not. These acid rust removers are not all formulated the same, but most do have zinc phosphate for rust protection. Milkstone cleaner is not formulated for rust removal, its for cleaning stainless steel milk tanks, so I doubt that it has zinc phosphate.

I have acid cleaned panels that have been stored in the barn attic for years with only very minor surface rust.