Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: Question for Chevynut on wiring and the other wiring experts on the forum

Registered Member

Member #:3477

Question for Chevynut on wiring and the other wiring experts on the forum

Hey CN-

I consider you the undisputed King of Wiring Complexity. So I would like your thoughts on something.

On the 2 door wagon, I just installed a set of vintage ADS 320 plates. I am a hoarder of all ADS Stereo, since my dad got me my first set.

Anyway, in this picture you can see that they are mounted in the tailgate. I had no issue with cutting it, after I saw the supposedly spotless gate was mudded everywhere. Plus Robert has gotten me motivated with his speaker work. These went right in with no interference to the latch rods (as they perch on 3/4 factory spacers). My question is on how to run the wire.

Attachment 9763

My thought is to dive through the rear grommet on the driver side, loom it underneath and then come up through the factory grommet hole near the hinges (dark spot in pic). However, then I need to go into the gate and I dont want the wires to pinch on open and shut. So I am thinking either flexible conduit of some sort or perhaps 3/8" rubber hose?

Trying to keep it clean and simple. The car is getting another set of either these or an old set of Boston Accoustics I have on the shelf. I am running them through a vintage ADS Powerplate with a vintage Alpine head unit. My Dad was in the stereo business and got me much of this stuff, so using the vintage equipment is a reminder of him- so no new stuff.

Any ideas?

Scorp

Member #:115
    Have you thought of using the "wireless" door jamb contacts? Seems like maybe a good application for them. If I was running wires I think I'd look for a way to run them near the hinges. You could run them through the hinge cover that screws to the body and into the other cover that screws to the tailgate. That would hide them pretty well. Without seeing it in front of me it's hard to say how that would work.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

CN-

Any thoughts on this flexible conduit?

Attachment 9764

Its made by Specialty Power Windows and I used it on the doors for the PW. The conduit is heavy wound stainless, and it secures on one side of and moves in and out on the other. The wires run through. I thought about this last night and was thinking maybe at the hinge area on one side. I also like your other ideas.

I am going to look at the wireless contacts.

Scorp

I have a set of those condiuts for my doors and bagged that idea long ago. Aren't they like 1/2" braided stainless? You only have 4 wires, correct? I'd look at these:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/k...SABEgKHP_D_BwE

https://www.keepitcleanwiring.com/ca...-Door-Contacts

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member

So I was reading the Q&As on summit on these and noticed an interesting point. When the tailgate is open, contact ceases and thus no sound. I think I want them to be able to play with gate open or closed.

Quote Originally Posted by scorpion1110 View Post
    When the tailgate is open, contact ceases and thus no sound. I think I want them to be able to play with gate open or closed.
    True. I didn't know if that mattered to you.

So wires are the only option. Are you using small 18-20 gauge speaker wires or the fat high-end wires? The smaller individual wires would be easier to hide If you're not really trying to hide them, a conduit like the one you posted might work.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S