Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dakota Digital cluster

Registered Member

Member #:625
    [QUOTE=chevynut;51210]I'll bet your Kansas vehicle laws require one. Ask your cop friend.[/QUOTE

Yes they are required but whether they work or not is optional.

Member #:115
    markm, here's the Kansas law regarding this. I haven't been able to find anything that specifically says speedometers are required, BUT.....

1-5835. Unlawful acts concerning odometers. (a) It is unlawful for any person1) To knowingly tamper with, adjust, alter, change, set back, disconnect or fail to connect the odometer of any motor vehicle, or cause any of the foregoing to occur to an odometer of a motor vehicle, so as to reflect a lower mileage than the true mileage traveled by the motor vehicle;

(2) with the intent to defraud, to operate a motor vehicle on any street or highway knowing that the odometer of the motor vehicle is disconnected or nonfunctional;
    (3) to advertise for sale, sell, use or install on any part of a motor vehicle or on any odometer in a motor vehicle any device which the person knows can cause the odometer to register any mileage other than the true mileage; or
    (4) to sell or offer to sell, with the intent to defraud, a motor vehicle knowing that the odometer of such motor vehicle was tampered with, adjusted, altered, changed, set back, disconnected or failed to be connected so as to reflect a lower mileage than the true mileage of such motor vehicle.
    (b) Nothing in this section shall prevent the service, repair or replacement of an odometer, provided the mileage indicated thereon remains the same as before the service, repair or replacement. If the odometer is incapable of registering the same mileage as before such service, repair or replacement, the odometer shall be adjusted to read zero and a notice shall be attached permanently to the left door frame of the vehicle by the owner or owner's agent specifying the mileage prior to repair or replacement of the odometer, the date on which it was repaired or replaced and the vehicle identification number except that it shall be unlawful for any person to:

(1) Fail to adjust an odometer or affix a notice regarding such adjustment, as required under this subsection; or
    (2) remove or alter any notice affixed to a vehicle pursuant to the provisions of this subsection.
    (c) Violation of this section is a severity level 9, nonperson felony.

(d) The provisions of this section shall not apply to antique motor vehicles which could be registered under the provisions of K.S.A. 8-166 et seq., and amendments thereto, or to special interest vehicles which could be registered under the provisions of K.S.A. 8-194 et seq., and amendments thereto.

8-194. Special interest vehicles; definitions. As used in this act: (a) "Collector" means the owner of one or more special interest vehicles or street rod vehicles who acquires, collects, purchases, trades or disposes of such vehicles or parts therefor for such person's own use in order to restore, preserve and maintain such vehicle or vehicles for historic interest.
    (b) "Parts car" means a motor vehicle generally in nonoperable condition which is owned by a collector to furnish parts which will enable the collector to restore, preserve and maintain a special interest vehicle, street rod vehicle or antique vehicle.
    (c) "Special interest vehicle" means a motor vehicle which is more than 20 years of age and which has not been altered or modified from the original manufacturer's specifications except to assure normal running operation or to meet specific safety inspection requirements on original equipment, or both. "Special interest vehicle" shall also mean and include a motor vehicle manufactured before 1949 that when altered or modified is referred to as a "street rod."

So it looks like you can have a non-working speedometer, but the odometer must work per Kansas law. So if the speedometer doesn't work because of the cable, tranny gear or something that causes the odometer not to work, it's apparently illegal to drive it. And a car built after 1949 isn't exempt if modified from stock. Of course this is a technicality, but that's the way I read it.

I'm pretty sure other states require speedometers for safety and virtually every state has laws concerning odometers. In Colorado, I think you just have to sign an affidavit saying the odometer mileage is not what is shown and that it's unknown. At least that's when you try to transfer a title. That way the unkown mileage is disclosed to the buyer.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:3249
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    I disagree...the stepper motors and modern sensors make them more accurate and repeatable, and mine are big enough to give true readings, rather than just an indication. Can you see the difference between 20 and 60 PSI oil pressure? I can.

That's what mine look like...........

Registered Member

Member #:4017
    Lots of information in the original size package, but will it be practical while driving? It would seem one’s eyes would be off the road a while seeking the gauge to view. A bit too small/busy other than the speedo for my taste.

I like the separate pods like a 57 but I’m used to it. Lesser viewed gauges hang below in old fashion with big faces.

No intent to discourage this cluster but just MHO.

Just a question how good are stepper motors for gauges? And what is the advantage? Sounds like more circuitry required.

Do you really think people follow the odometer laws?..........really
    Last edited by Gmvette; 06-06-2019 at 08:15 AM.

Member #:2442
    markm, here's the Kansas law regarding this. I haven't been able to find anything that specifically says speedometers are required, BUT.....

1-5835. Unlawful acts concerning odometers. (a) It is unlawful for any person1) To knowingly tamper with, adjust, alter, change, set back, disconnect or fail to connect the odometer of any motor vehicle, or cause any of the foregoing to occur to an odometer of a motor vehicle, so as to reflect a lower mileage than the true mileage traveled by the motor vehicle;

(2) with the intent to defraud, to operate a motor vehicle on any street or highway knowing that the odometer of the motor vehicle is disconnected or nonfunctional;
    (3) to advertise for sale, sell, use or install on any part of a motor vehicle or on any odometer in a motor vehicle any device which the person knows can cause the odometer to register any mileage other than the true mileage; or
    (4) to sell or offer to sell, with the intent to defraud, a motor vehicle knowing that the odometer of such motor vehicle was tampered with, adjusted, altered, changed, set back, disconnected or failed to be connected so as to reflect a lower mileage than the true mileage of such motor vehicle.
    (b) Nothing in this section shall prevent the service, repair or replacement of an odometer, provided the mileage indicated thereon remains the same as before the service, repair or replacement. If the odometer is incapable of registering the same mileage as before such service, repair or replacement, the odometer shall be adjusted to read zero and a notice shall be attached permanently to the left door frame of the vehicle by the owner or owner's agent specifying the mileage prior to repair or replacement of the odometer, the date on which it was repaired or replaced and the vehicle identification number except that it shall be unlawful for any person to:

(1) Fail to adjust an odometer or affix a notice regarding such adjustment, as required under this subsection; or
    (2) remove or alter any notice affixed to a vehicle pursuant to the provisions of this subsection.
    (c) Violation of this section is a severity level 9, nonperson felony.

(d) The provisions of this section shall not apply to antique motor vehicles which could be registered under the provisions of K.S.A. 8-166 et seq., and amendments thereto, or to special interest vehicles which could be registered under the provisions of K.S.A. 8-194 et seq., and amendments thereto.

8-194. Special interest vehicles; definitions. As used in this act: (a) "Collector" means the owner of one or more special interest vehicles or street rod vehicles who acquires, collects, purchases, trades or disposes of such vehicles or parts therefor for such person's own use in order to restore, preserve and maintain such vehicle or vehicles for historic interest.
    (b) "Parts car" means a motor vehicle generally in nonoperable condition which is owned by a collector to furnish parts which will enable the collector to restore, preserve and maintain a special interest vehicle, street rod vehicle or antique vehicle.
    (c) "Special interest vehicle" means a motor vehicle which is more than 20 years of age and which has not been altered or modified from the original manufacturer's specifications except to assure normal running operation or to meet specific safety inspection requirements on original equipment, or both. "Special interest vehicle" shall also mean and include a motor vehicle manufactured before 1949 that when altered or modified is referred to as a "street rod."

So it looks like you can have a non-working speedometer, but the odometer must work per Kansas law. So if the speedometer doesn't work because of the cable, tranny gear or something that causes the odometer not to work, it's apparently illegal to drive it. And a car built after 1949 isn't exempt if modified from stock. Of course this is a technicality, but that's the way I read it.

I'm pretty sure other states require speedometers for safety and virtually every state has laws concerning odometers. In Colorado, I think you just have to sign an affidavit saying the odometer mileage is not what is shown and that it's unknown. At least that's when you try to transfer a title. That way the unkown mileage is disclosed to the buyer.
    In Wisconsin vehicles are exempt from odometer disclosure after they are 10 years old so they don't list the mileage on the title if you buy a vehicle over 10 years old, just that it is exempt from mileage disclosure, so I doubt it matters if your speedometer works or not. At least not until you get a ticket because you didn't know how fast you were going.
    Brian

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Quote Originally Posted by Gmvette View Post
    Lots of information in the original size package, but will it be practical while driving? It would seem one’s eyes would be off the road a while seeking the gauge to view. A bit too small/busy other than the speedo for my taste.

I like the separate pods like a 57 but I’m used to it. Lesser viewed gauges hang below in old fashion with big faces.

No intent to discourage this cluster but just MHO.

Just a question how good are stepper motors for gauges? And what is the advantage? Sounds like more circuitry required.

They are the best Idea since printed circuit boards on 88 up taillights on GM trucks. Everyone I know with an early 2000s truck has had issues with them while my 72 Cheyenne Super soldiers on with OEM cluster. When they die you will probably be unable to replace them.

Quote Originally Posted by Gmvette View Post
    Not sure what you're referring to since you didn't say. Have you ever seen a VHX in person? I have.....I have one. The tach is as big as the speedo. Gauges are easy to read....easy as any modern car IMO. Once you get used to where the smaller ones are, it's just a glance....just like a new car.

SO who's going to put a 57 gauge cluster in a 55 or 56? Nobody. Gauges below the dash are too old school for me. I hate seeing a tach on the top of the dash except maybe in a race car.

All the VHX functions are controlled by a computer. They have several warnings that can be programmed....speedometer, tach and fuel gauge are programmable which means you can use any fuel sender, and even calibrate one. Speedo is calibrated by driving a mile. It has tons of nice features. I wish it had user-defined colors like the HDX gauges, but I got the black and white setup because I think it looks more OEM and I don't like blue or red LEDs.

Stepper motors reset and re-calibrate every time power is applied. The computer tells them where to point the indicator. All new cars have used them for many years and they're a lot more repeatable and accurate than old wire wound movements.

Beats me, but that's the law. People speed too. People violate all sorts of laws....until they get caught.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    They are the best Idea since printed circuit boards on 88 up taillights on GM trucks. Everyone I know with an early 2000s truck has had issues with them while my 72 Cheyenne Super soldiers on with OEM cluster. When they die you will probably be unable to replace them.
    I'm sure DD will repair the stepper motors if they fail. Have you heard of one ever failing in a DD cluster? I haven't. My 2003 Silverado had stepper motor problems and I had them all replaced even though only one went bad. They had a bad batch of motors for a few years that caused problems on the early 2000s Chevys. Shit happens.....but they still use them and I'm not aware of any problems for a decade or more.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Digital Stepper Motor (Full Sweep Electric)
    The next type of instrument we’ll touch on are our Digital Stepper Motor gauges. These highly advanced instruments represent the pinnacle of individual gauge technology and provide the highest possible levels of accuracy, precision, response and durability. Each instrument is controlled by a microprocessor on an circuit board printed in house, which allows for incredibly quick calculations as well as a number of other features not seen in the other gauge types. These gauges utilize laboratory grade sending units for the ultimate in accuracy, no more than +/- 1%. These solid state sending units are the same ones used in our high end data acquisition solutions. In fact, many of them can simultaneously be used to provide data streams to a logger or standalone engine management system. To further increase accuracy, every time the gauge is powered up it will zero calibrate to assure that even as it wears over a lifetime, it will always remain as accurate as it was the day it was built. These gauges utilize 270º of the dial, making them very easy to read, even at small levels of change. Included with each DSM gauge is a wiring harness specific to the instrument and included sender. These harnesses also provide a ground for the sending unit, so there aren’t any concerns about the sending unit ground through the threads affecting instrument accuracy. We still prefer liquid Teflon to the tape, but these also have the bonus of being able to be easily installed even in composite and other non-grounded materials.

Because they so easily communicate critical information to the driver, offer unparalleled accuracy and in many case automatically trigger key condition based events, these gauges can easily be the difference between a lost race and a lost motor. The driver stays more focused on the task at hand, confident that should a condition outside the norm pop up, they’ll be warned and be able to easily see exactly what that condition is. There is, quite simply, not a more accurate or durable instrument solution available from any manufacturer, at any price.

https://www.autometer.com/resources/...aq_view/id/78#

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member

Member #:3477
    Digital Stepper Motor (Full Sweep Electric)
    The next type of instrument we’ll touch on are our Digital Stepper Motor gauges. These highly advanced instruments represent the pinnacle of individual gauge technology and provide the highest possible levels of accuracy, precision, response and durability. Each instrument is controlled by a microprocessor on an circuit board printed in house, which allows for incredibly quick calculations as well as a number of other features not seen in the other gauge types. These gauges utilize laboratory grade sending units for the ultimate in accuracy, no more than +/- 1%. These solid state sending units are the same ones used in our high end data acquisition solutions. In fact, many of them can simultaneously be used to provide data streams to a logger or standalone engine management system. To further increase accuracy, every time the gauge is powered up it will zero calibrate to assure that even as it wears over a lifetime, it will always remain as accurate as it was the day it was built. These gauges utilize 270º of the dial, making them very easy to read, even at small levels of change. Included with each DSM gauge is a wiring harness specific to the instrument and included sender. These harnesses also provide a ground for the sending unit, so there aren’t any concerns about the sending unit ground through the threads affecting instrument accuracy. We still prefer liquid Teflon to the tape, but these also have the bonus of being able to be easily installed even in composite and other non-grounded materials.

Because they so easily communicate critical information to the driver, offer unparalleled accuracy and in many case automatically trigger key condition based events, these gauges can easily be the difference between a lost race and a lost motor. The driver stays more focused on the task at hand, confident that should a condition outside the norm pop up, they’ll be warned and be able to easily see exactly what that condition is. There is, quite simply, not a more accurate or durable instrument solution available from any manufacturer, at any price.

https://www.autometer.com/resources/...aq_view/id/78#
    CN you are such a tech-snob.

I am putting a cluster from a 29 Ford in my 55. Now thats nostagia

scorp

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast