Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Dakota Digital cluster

Registered Member

Member #:3477
    Quote Originally Posted by WagonCrazy View Post
    Sorry guys...but following this post requires me to stop and get some popcorn.
    How about we go back to CNut's original discussion of the gauge packages for his 56 Nomad?
    Actually I think its a pretty good discussion. And its lead to some interesting perspective. And I love popcorn.

So I say let it roll.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Quote Originally Posted by Gmvette View Post
    You must like vintage stuff some where in there since you are building a trifive. A trifive was modern almost 65 years ago. Just think in 25 to 30 years from now everything you are doing to the car will be obsolete.
    If we all are still around then my stock cluster will still be doing its thing and Cnut will still be working on his car with its C12 suspension that makes C4 almost stagecoach tech.

Banned

Member #:2775
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpion1110 View Post
    Actually I think its a pretty good discussion. And its lead to some interesting perspective. And I love popcorn.

So I say let it roll.
    It's better than no discussion at all.

Member #:3249
    Well, I'm done reading this thread..............

Registered Member

Member #:4017
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    Not sure what you're referring to since you didn't say. Have you ever seen a VHX in person? I have.....I have one. The tach is as big as the speedo. Gauges are easy to read....easy as any modern car IMO. Once you get used to where the smaller ones are, it's just a glance....just like a new car.

SO who's going to put a 57 gauge cluster in a 55 or 56? Nobody. Gauges below the dash are too old school for me. I hate seeing a tach on the top of the dash except maybe in a race car.

All the VHX functions are controlled by a computer. They have several warnings that can be programmed....speedometer, tach and fuel gauge are programmable which means you can use any fuel sender, and even calibrate one. Speedo is calibrated by driving a mile. It has tons of nice features. I wish it had user-defined colors like the HDX gauges, but I got the black and white setup because I think it looks more OEM and I don't like blue or red LEDs.

Stepper motors reset and re-calibrate every time power is applied. The computer tells them where to point the indicator. All new cars have used them for many years and they're a lot more repeatable and accurate than old wire wound movements. ........

I’m just looking at what is in the photo. And no I don’t think any instrument are readable while driving except the speedometer which could be smaller to facilitate the other gauges being bigger.. Tach is way too small for a stick shift car. Nobody said anything about tach being on top of the dash like a race car, I agree that sucks. Gauges below dash ......old school. A ‘55 Nomad is kind’a old ...... 64 years old. The programmable and calibration while driving or stepper motor reset features and led colors are of no consequence. In MHO, I would just want speed, RPM’s, volts/charge, temperature, and oil pressure. Obtaining it in the most simplistic form that is reliable, readable at a glance.

A possible image projected on the windshield might be more visible, except in bright sun.

Member #:115
    I was gone to Wyoming branding calves this weekend and just got back last night.

Since RD is so clueless I thought I'd post this...

https://patents.google.com/patent/US8935053B2/en

"Aspects of the disclosure provide for controlling a hood latch using an electrically actuated primary hood latch and an electrically actuated secondary hood latch. To open the hood of the vehicle, a person presses a hood release button. Before attempting to release either the primary hood latch or secondary hood latch, a determination is made whether a vehicle speed of the vehicle is below a minimum vehicle speed threshold. If the vehicle speed is below this threshold, both the primary electrical actuator for the primary hood latch and the secondary electrical actuator for the secondary hood latch are triggered, thereby releasing hood from a closed position into an open position."

The patent above is from Tesla.

There are lots of new cars with electric hood releases...my Porsche is one of them, and you can find them on other Porsches, Audis, VWs, Ferraris, and many other newer vehicles. I'll bet they're speed interlocked so they can't open above a certain speed. And they don't add as much weight as a full roll cage that's absolutely ridiculous for a street car.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:625
    I was gone to Wyoming branding calves this weekend and just got back last night.

"Aspects of the disclosure provide for controlling a hood latch using an electrically actuated primary hood latch and an electrically actuated secondary hood latch. To open the hood of the vehicle, a person presses a hood release button. Before attempting to release either the primary hood latch or secondary hood latch, a determination is made whether a vehicle speed of the vehicle is below a minimum vehicle speed threshold. If the vehicle speed is below this threshold, both the primary electrical actuator for the primary hood latch and the secondary electrical actuator for the secondary hood latch are triggered, thereby releasing hood from a closed position into an open position."

There are lots of new cars with electric hood releases...my Porsche is one of them, and you can find them on other Porsches, Audis, VWs, Ferraris, and many other newer vehicles. I'll bet they're speed interlocked so they can't open above a certain speed. And they don't add as much weight as a full roll cage that's absolutely ridiculous for a street car.
    Do you have a cordless digital branding iron.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Do you have a cordless digital branding iron.
    After reading the post this reply’s to it is just plain funny. Made me laugh out loud.

Banned

Member #:2775

There are lots of new cars with electric hood releases...my Porsche is one of them, and you can find them on other Porsches, Audis, VWs, Ferraris, and many other newer vehicles. I'll bet they're speed interlocked so they can't open above a certain speed
    And they don't add as much weight as a full roll cage that's absolutely ridiculous for a street car. [/QUOTE]
    I think this was a street car.

Registered Member

Sure this is not a chopped top?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast