Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Dakota Digital cluster

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by 55 Rescue Dog View Post
    Maybe so, but you totally lost me with the desired remote controlled electronic speed controlled electric solenoid operated hood latch, and maybe a couple other things that no other modern car has. After all you are several hundred pounds over the
    GVRW design limit of the C4 chassis that you surely must have considered.

You are so FOS. A C4 Corvette weight is pushing 3400 pounds and my Nomad won't weigh that much over that. I recall you claiming my front sheetmetal was going to weigh a ton, and I weighed it and proved to you how full of shit you are. It was lighter than the stock parts. My suspension is lighter than the stock suspension. It's easy to confuse a tech-illiterate person who obviously doesn't know crap about electronics. You can't even understand a simple electric hood latch with a speed interlock when I produce a drawing of it.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Banned

Member #:2775
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    You are so FOS. A C4 Corvette weight is pushing 3400 pounds and my Nomad won't weigh that much over that. I recall you claiming my front sheetmetal was going to weigh a ton, and I weighed it and proved to you how full of shit you are. It was lighter than the stock parts. My suspension is lighter than the stock suspension. It's easy to confuse a tech-illiterate person who obviously doesn't know crap about electronics. You can't even understand a simple electric hood latch with a speed interlock when I produce a drawing of it.
    After 47 years of electrical experience, your schematic, and idea sucks, and you are dreaming on the weight. Back to the OP's original post, I kind of like the DD cluster even though it is stupid money for it's function. As far as a speedometer goes, anyone can do that right on their phone stuck to the dash. Also, I don't ever remember calling you any names like you have to me, and many others.
    I understand what you where trying to describe in your schematic even though wasn't drawn even close to what I'm used to seeing. But I was lost as to the reasoning for a electronic /magnetic, magic hood opener. Don't you still need to release a secondary safety latch to open the hood anyway? I would be worried about somebody's garage door opener making my hood fly open cruising down the road.
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 06-08-2019 at 02:26 PM.

Registered Member

Member #:3477
    I'm an engineer....I like modern technology. It performs better, more efficient, more accurate, etc, etc, etc. It's called progress.
    Gotta quibble here a bit.

The concepts behind modern technology work, but the parts that are used to make it work are often subpar. An excellent example is home stereo.

My Dad sold stereo, starting in the 60's through his death in 1991. He brought home every high end piece of equipment ever made. Bozak, TEAC, Dahlquist, Magnepans, Marantz, McIntosh, Hafler, Proton, Martin Logan. The right stuff at the right times.

With only small exception (ie McIntosh and only a few others), you began to see more features but worse build quality as we moved through the 60s, 70, 80s into the 90s.

So right now I am Using a 50" plasma in my den, run through a 1969-70 Era Crown C41 Amp, C&M Labs amp both bi-amped through a Bozak Crossover network, controlled by a Marantz 7T Preamp. Speakers are custom built Bozaks. The Tuner is a dyna Tube unit. Turntable Sony TTS3000.

My Point? From a build quality/technology standpoint, this equipment was at the apex of Hi Fi in 1969-70 and arguably today because while todays equipment does more its built with flimsy cheap materials. Yes you can still get the good stuff but its disproportionately expensive. The TTS3000 will run circles over any turntable until you get into the $10k units. You cant find an affordable Pre-amp to touch the Marantz. And play GNR Sweet Child of Mine through the Bozaks and the house moves off its foundation. Try a set of moderately expensive 2019 speakers and watch the surrounds grenade and listen to them buzz like a hornets nest.

So CN, when you always argue technology without the offset being qualilty of material and process, its a flawed argument.

Technology with the best quality parts and manufacture could arguably be 30 - 40 years ago. And maybe even further.

A stock 1955 Nomad might be the perfect blend of technology and quality.

Look I am not busting your chops, but technology without quality is simply garbage, and too much technology today isnt quality.

I am not an Engineer but I am a Finance MBA- I understand economics, marketing, production and manufacturing pretty well.

Now I am bolting up those hickory wagon wheels to my wagon. Thanks MarkM.

Scorp
    Last edited by scorpion1110; 06-07-2019 at 04:46 PM. Reason: spelling

Registered Member

Member #:625
    A BBC and 6 speed in a station wagon at 3400, yea right my 67 Camaro weights 3360on NHRA scales. No AC with alum 4 speed, 12 bolt, alum intake.

As far as tech goes Scorpion is dead on right, too much of any good thing is bad. Right now rain comes to mind.

Banned

Member #:2775
    Electronics on modern cars are getting way over the top for me usually. The fully automated carwash that I do maintenance/troubleshooting on call at, can be a nightmare itself at times. Got a frantic call from some lady that had gone into the 5 spinning foam brush bay with a 2018 Chrysler Pacifica mini-van that said the car wash ripped the sliding door right off the van. She was right it did, and it was horrible to watch the whole event on the security cameras. She was in the front seat, and her 3 year old grand daughter was strapped into a car seat thankfully on the passenger side. Partway through the cycle the sliding door opened up all by itself, and then I could see the spinning giant foam brush halfway inside the van spraying water all over. Then on the return pass the brush wedged in behind the door, and knocked it right off to the floor. The machine continued to run the other cycles soaking the passengers, and it was 20 degrees and windy outside. What a disaster, but no one hurt, other than the traumatized little girl that will have nightmares about a car wash trying to eat her. The Pacifica sliding door can be opened several ways, including a key fob, a light touch on the outer door handle, or even waving your foot under the rocker panel. We still do not know how it could have opened all by itself. The carwash manufacturer even rented a identical model trying to reproduce the accident. I did come across a list of over 30 modern cars that shouldn't be taken through an automated carwash etc., with all of the auto-braking, collision controls, and so forth.
    IMG_5102.JPG
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 06-09-2019 at 06:20 AM.

Member #:3217
    I knew there were multiple reasons for NOT taking a car into a 'brush type' carwash!~ wow...

Registered Member

Member #:3477
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    I knew there were multiple reasons for NOT taking a car into a 'brush type' carwash!~ wow...
    To quote the most esteemed Dr. Ian Malcolm:

"Just because you can do something, doesnt mean you should do something."

Registered Member

Member #:625
    I feel sorry for the little girl but do not morn the loss of a Niceler miniature van one bit

Registered Member

Member #:4017
    I'm an engineer....I like modern technology. It performs better, more efficient, more accurate, etc, etc, etc. It's called progress.

You must like vintage stuff some where in there since you are building a trifive. A trifive was modern almost 65 years ago. Just think in 25 to 30 years from now everything you are doing to the car will be obsolete.

Member #:530
    Sorry guys...but following this post requires me to stop and get some popcorn.
    How about we go back to CNut's original discussion of the gauge packages for his 56 Nomad?
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast