Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Dakota Digital cluster

Banned

Member #:2775
    And then, I think about just the couple layers of sheet metal 16 inches away from the frame rails, and the seats are outboard of the frame. I didn't worry enough about safety riding motorcycles when I was young, but now I always try and dress for the crash.
    https://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...g&action=click
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 06-11-2019 at 05:00 PM.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    I’m just looking at what is in the photo. And no I don’t think any instrument are readable while driving except the speedometer which could be smaller to facilitate the other gauges being bigger.. Tach is way too small for a stick shift car.
    That may be true of the RTX, but I see the VHX as very readable with all the gauges being appropriately sized (at least within the constraints of a 55-56 instrument cluster), and the tach is big enough for anything but a race car.

Registered Member

Member #:4017
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    That may be true of the RTX, but I see the VHX as very readable with all the gauges being appropriately sized (at least within the constraints of a 55-56 instrument cluster), and the tach is big enough for anything but a race car.
    This is the cluster we are referring to, right, how are these gauges above the speedometer of any use at all while driving? Especially the tach? Two of the digest on the speedometer are bigger than the whole dam tachometer. Most of this cluster face is wasted nothing. I don’t follow your logic.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member

This one is better but the sweep directions are not consistent min to max.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gmvette View Post
    This one is better but the sweep directions are not consistent min to max.
    It looks pretty good except the 160mph speedo is a bit optimistic on a tri5. It would be easier to read with a 120mph scale.

Member #:3217
    Quote Originally Posted by 55 Rescue Dog View Post
    It looks pretty good except the 160mph speedo is a bit optimistic on a tri5. It would be easier to read with a 120mph scale.
    I totally agree RD... probably 50-60 mph 'overshoot'! A 160 mph speedo in a trifive (and most cars) serves only as a detriment to reading what the speed actually is (way less than 120, much less than 160); the owner is only fooling themselves?

Registered Member

Member #:625
    One of the things I really like about a 55/56 is the dash and cluster. I see room for improvement, but find those examples too busy. I don't know anyone who needs a 160 mph speedo in one of these cars.

Banned

I would also agree that the stock cluster with its simple timeless design, and soft incandescent lighting, cannot be beat with anything else out there. I would consider using the speedo, and fuel gauge, and use auxiliary gauges for the rest. If someone came up with a reasonably priced stepper motor movement conversion for the stock speedometer needle that would be awesome. GPS controlled too. I don't know much about a VSS to mechanical speedo converter, but it doesn't seem like a great idea either.
    IMG_5819.JPG
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 06-12-2019 at 10:17 AM.

Registered Member

The stock one is a winner and all the gauges go in the same direction min to max as it should.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gmvette View Post
    The stock one is a winner and all the gauges go in the same direction min to max as it should.
    Yes, and I always remember from long ago, the best dial orientation is so all of the needles point straight up under normal conditions, and then it take less time to read them so you can focus more on what's ahead. The speedometer on the stock cluster just happens to point straight north at 60mph.
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 06-12-2019 at 02:36 PM.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast