Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: 1956 radiator

Registered Member

Member #:709

1956 radiator

Anyone running a radiator in front with inlet on top of the support I have a 56 how much room do I have just checking before cutting Thanks Raybob

Registered Member

Member #:571
    The top of the radiator should be mounted flush with the top of the radiator support. The only potential problem you'll have is the diagonal support rods that run from the side of the hood at the baffle to the latch area - interfering with the radiator cap if it's above the crossbar. This is usually not a problem with a 56-57 but almost a certainty with a 55. It's close though, I did see this happen on a 57 recently where the radiator was moved forward off the support for another clearance issue. The solution is either to lower the radiator cap by cutting a diagonal on the tank, or to fabricate a curved support rod.

Registered Member carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)'s Avatar

Member #:33
    ARMY NAM VET, very proud!

56 210 4dr

drive and enjoy them while you work on them, life is to short.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    I perhaps mistakenly thought that the question was about a crossflow radiator conversion. Carl's post made me realize that this may not be so, that the question was about mounting a stock style radiator in the 6 cylinder position in front of the radiator support. If that was the question, then look at Carl's photos for details. For that case, the radiator should be no higher than his, the top hose should be positioned low enough that it clears the stock hood baffle but high enough that the hose clears the radiator support.