Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Vortec Bypass Hose/heater hose

Banned

Member #:2775
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    looks like that will work in spite of all the bogus info being put out.
    My point with the bypass thermostat still stands. Looks cleaner, only adds a few minutes to warm-up, then the t-stat, and fan take it from there anyway. I have no idea how to calculate the volume of flow through three 3/16in holes in the t-stat at whatever the water pump pressure is though? I have a pressure gauge with a low pressure light, installed in my cooling system, but I get weird readings with it mounted above the thermostat. I need to move the gauge port below that to read cooling system pressure I think.
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 06-15-2019 at 05:30 PM.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    I don't think holes in the thermostat are the end of the world, but your comments about the uncertainty of the flow volume makes it a crap shoot doesn't it? They can be made too big.

The engine is certainly going to warm up slower than otherwise if your bypass is to the radiator.

Your comments about pressure don't make any sense. Remember too that race setups that monitor water pressure don't usually use a thermostat.

Why not just install the bypass hose like the factory did and move on?

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Quote Originally Posted by 55 Rescue Dog View Post
    My point with the bypass thermostat still stands. Looks cleaner, only adds a few minutes to warm-up, then the t-stat, and fan take it from there anyway. I have no idea how to calculate the volume of flow through three 3/16in holes in the t-stat at whatever the water pump pressure is though? I have a pressure gauge with a low pressure light, installed in my cooling system, but I get weird readings with it mounted above the thermostat. I need to move the gauge port below that to read cooling system pressure I think.
    My comment was not directed toward you it was directed toward the statements in that link about Vortech blocks not having bypass passages drilled. Heads and pumps are not drilled but blocks I have seen are drilled.

Banned

Since it was mentioned earlier in the thread that, EVERY car has a heater control valve, I was wondering how on modern cars they control the cabin heat temp with dual-zone climate control, etc? Do they use multiple servo operated heater control valves for that? I can't seem to find a good example of how automotive HVAC system really works. Never gave it much thought before, as long as it got warm when it was cold outside, and cold when it's hot. I like controlling temperature with the windows.
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 06-17-2019 at 05:18 PM.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    EVERY car has a heater control valve,
    Most 60s GM cars didn't have a heater control valve. I don't know when they went back to one if they ever did.

I was wondering how on modern cars they control the cabin heat temp with dual-zone climate control, etc? Do they use multiple servo operated heater control valves for that?
    They use servo operated "doors" not valves. In other words they control the flow of hot air (and cold air), rather than coolant flow.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    Most 60s GM cars didn't have a heater control valve. I don't know when they went back to one if they ever did.

They use servo operated "doors" not valves. In other words they control the flow of hot air (and cold air), rather than coolant flow.
    It reacts quicker I think, rather than waiting for the heater core to warm up, and back down.

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    A lot of them did have heater control valves, especially with A/C and on cars in the late 60's cars....

https://www.carid.com/1964-pontiac-b...ontrol-valves/

https://www.ss396.com/chevelle/ACV-1...SABEgLNX_D_BwE

https://www.ss396.com/camaro/ACV-190...=camaro&year=0

https://www.ss396.com/nova/ACV-1901....pe=nova&year=0
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:615
    I received the part I need to connect the heater return line to the lower radiator hose. I'm glad something was available so I wouldn't have to have one made.

20190619_140122.jpg

One more problem solved, 10,000 more to go.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123