Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hidden hinge

Member #:40

Hidden hinge

Haven’t done much on the nomad. I got a hidden hinge setup that looks promising. Needs some minor adjustment . I spun off the Buick caballero design. Raised cargo floor 1” or so and tucked the lower part of tailgate under it. Lots of work let me tell ya . I have a video but I can’t load it for some reason . I’m gonna replace tailgate and tailspin because they have been beat up pretty good. I’ve tried 4-5 different hinge setups hard to do when u cant make ur own hinge in house. I used rear hatch hinges off a Denali
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MadMooks; 06-18-2019 at 10:41 AM.
    MadMooks 55-57 Nomad Parts
    www.madmooks.com

Member #:115
    What happens if someone sits on it? Are you still going to use the cables?

I would have loved to delete my hinges, but I felt it was too big of a project and I've already done so many mods. Did you ever look at how Kindigit did it on that 55 Nomad? Building custom hinges should be easy for you since you have the machining capability. Building them is the easy part....designing them to work right is the hard part.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    What happens if someone sits on it? Are you still going to use the cables?

I would have loved to delete my hinges, but I felt it was too big of a project and I've already done so many mods. Did you ever look at how Kindigit did it on that 55 Nomad? Building custom hinges should be easy for you since you have the machining capability. Building them is the easy part....designing them to work right is the hard part.
    I’m gonna still use cables. I need to make a stop tho cuz they are too long now . I can shift the guide up in the quarter towards the front of car or do something else. After all the work I’ve done that problem seems like an easy fix.

I can’t pull the guys that work for us off making parts for me. Madmooks is priority, this hinge thing is just my hobby . I have 250 pairs of door strikers being run right now. The hidden hinge won’t be something I’ll sell so I didn’t really see that as an option .

I didn’t see kindigs . I do kno this tho , 55s have the most clearance to the bumper . The way he tucked the bumper and flipped it gave him the best clearance of any car out there . Hot rod dynamics actually just made hinges and will be selling a kit. He did it on a 55 tho and it’s very tight with bumper so id prolly want to see it on a 56/57 before I buy one before I do this to our 57. 57s are even tighter and most guys raise the bumpers because they have gaps with the taillights on the corners. Kudos to those guys for going after it tho. The first design I tried in January worked but the bumper clearance was just too close. Can’t say the Buick idea was the best way to do it , but it is a way to do It.
    www.madmooks.com

Just more info . G3 used Silverado rear door hinges with a double pivot . I didn’t really want to cheat off his setup but it does work. He doesn’t have cables so I’m guessing they weren’t long enough . If the tailgate goes out and down , you’r cable will be too short . I guess there’s pros and cons to each setup . The 275k 56 nomad at Barrett used s10 hinges. The tailgate isn’t really flat or close to factory flat. He had the clearance tho to make it flat, but I guess didn’t want to lengthen cable .
    www.madmooks.com

Quote Originally Posted by MadMooks View Post
    Just more info . G3 used Silverado rear door hinges with a double pivot . I didn’t really want to cheat off his setup but it does work. He doesn’t have cables so I’m guessing they weren’t long enough . If the tailgate goes out and down , you’r cable will be too short . I guess there’s pros and cons to each setup . The 275k 56 nomad at Barrett used s10 hinges. The tailgate isn’t really flat or close to factory flat. He had the clearance tho to make it flat, but I guess didn’t want to lengthen cable .

Wow, after the hundreds of thousands of dollars those guys spent on those cars, I can't believe a simple, cheap custom cable was such a big deal.

If you're not going to sell them, why didn't you just copy G3? I haven't seen that car in person but I talked to Jose at Ogden Chrome about it at length. I guess I see the satisfaction in coming up with your own design, though.

I don't think bumper clearance is an issue.....if you eliminate the guards....like you should.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Wow, after the hundreds of thousands of dollars those guys spent on those cars, I can't believe a simple, cheap custom cable was such a big deal.

If you're not going to sell them, why didn't you just copy G3? I haven't seen that car in person but I talked to Jose at Ogden Chrome about it at length. I guess I see the satisfaction in coming up with your own design, though.

I don't think bumper clearance is an issue.....if you eliminate the guards....like you should.

I guess you could say I copied Buick haha. I just wanted the challenge of doing something no one has done . Weird to say because I coulda saved a ton of time just going with the G3 setup. I’m glad I didn’t tho, it exercised my brain to figure this setup out.

Bumper clearance is definitely an issue. It’s almost a must to suck the bumper close to the body . That center tailgate bar is the issue , at least with what I saw. No chance in hell guards will work , well unless you did it my way but I don’t want guards. G3’s bumper looks weird at the top to me almost like they changed the curvature . They might have run into a bumper clearance as well.
    Last edited by MadMooks; 06-18-2019 at 01:31 PM.
    www.madmooks.com

Here’s the G3. Pretty heavy duty
    www.madmooks.com

Quote Originally Posted by MadMooks View Post
    Here’s the G3. Pretty heavy duty
    I'm betting you couldn't sit or put much weight on that tailgate without screwing something up. But it looks nice without the cables except for the big holes for the hinges. I wonder why they didn't put them further apart.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Member #:1653
    If, one was to expend that much money and time eliminating things, one would have at least considered that awful handle and button, automatic opener ala Tahoe/Suburban. Why half ass it?

Registered Member

Member #:4017
    I'm betting you couldn't sit or put much weight on that tailgate without screwing something up. But it looks nice without the cables except for the big holes for the hinges. I wonder why they didn't put them further apart.

My guess is the clean look was intended when the tailgate was closed, not so much a concern when opened. If the clean look was desired when open just leave it as it was. I would agree why not space the hinges out for more stability over the length.........?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast