Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: Nomad tailgage hinges

Registered Member

Member #:3799

Nomad tailgage hinges

I have spoken to Danchuk about trying to get their over seas supplier to take the tail gate hinges that they make for 1955 thru 1957 regular station wagons, and either do not drill and tap the three 1/4 holes, or position the three holes for the Nomad wagon. Their is no other difference other than the positioning of the three 1/4 tapped holes.Dose anyone know another supplier ?Lastly they only make the tailgate hinge cover's in stainless steel ,if they stamp them in stainless, then why can't they stamp them in mild steel? Dose anyone know of a supplier that makes them out of regular mild steel like the original one's. Domenic
    Last edited by nomad; 06-20-2019 at 08:14 AM.

Member #:40
    Quote Originally Posted by nomad View Post
    I have spoken to Danchuk about trying to get their over seas supplier to take the hinges that they make for 1955 thru 1957 regular station wagons and either do not drill and tap the three 1/4 holes, or position the three holes for the Nomad wagon. Their is no other difference other than the positioning of the three 1/4 tapped holes.Dose anyone know another supplier ?Lastly they only make the tailgate hinge cover's in stainless steel , Dose anyone know of a supplier that makes them out of regular sheet metal like the original one's. Domenic
    We’ve sold many of our billet aluminum tailgate hinges and a lot of guys have painted them . Also, hinge covers aren’t just in stainless (ours) , real deal steel offers steel pieces.
    MadMooks 55-57 Nomad Parts
    www.madmooks.com

Registered Member

Thanks' Madmooks for your lead on the Nomad tail gate covers in mild steel. Real deal steel is sending me a pair of them. Also we will be sending you the Tail gate lift gate to be straightened out as soon as we are at that point. Still need a good source for a pair of stock re-production Nomad tail gate hinges. Thanks Domenic

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by nomad View Post
    Thanks' Madmooks for your lead on the Nomad tail gate covers in mild steel. Real deal steel is sending me a pair of them. Also we will be sending you the Tail gate lift gate to be straightened out as soon as we are at that point. Still need a good source for a pair of stock re-production Nomad tail gate hinges. Thanks Domenic
    Why reproduction? There are original ones around.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Chevynut so far I have tried: Jims in NE. Jim always runs an ad in Hemmings, and lists lots of tri -five parts cars. I have dealt with Jim for many hard to find parts and he has come thru. Jim explained to me that the only difference between the regular 55-57 wagon tail gate hinge, and the Nomad one is: the positioning of the three 1/4 tapped holes. Jim also told me that the 55 Nomad tail gate hinge, uses a two piece pin and would have to be drilled out to use a one piece pin like on a 56 or a 57 .Jim dose not have any. Also tried John Chamber's who is a great source for Classic Chevrolet part's, but he checked around with his sources and has none. Then I tried my friend Dean in Carmel NY. and he had one half of one hinge for a 55 Nomad which I purchased but it is going to need to be drilled out if I choose to use it. Buying this part" used "can be tricky if the pin has wore past the bushing, or rust has gotten to the threads they could be trash. If a company is already making this hinge for the 55-57 regular wagons how hard would it be for them to put some aside, and not drill the three 1/4 holes I bet people would pay the same money with out the holes . Or better yet if they just drilled and tapped them to the Nomad spec., and then offered them for sale. Domenic
    Last edited by nomad; 06-20-2019 at 05:41 PM.

Member #:115
    I thought all the hinges were the same on Nomads. I'm aware that the bolt holes on the UPPER half need to be relocated, but I believe the lower half is the same. Don't know anything about a "2-piece pin" used on 55's.

Seems like you being so picky about the "correct" hinges wouldn't want a reproduction one. I'm sure if someone did reproduce them they would all be the same.

If you don't care if they're reproduction, why not just buy a pair for a wagon and weld up the holes and re-drill and tap them? I thought they were 5/16-24 not 1/4".

I think I have a spare pair of Nomad hinges, but I'd have to check.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:3
    Try
    Dick Olsen he has Parted Many Nomads out

Classic Enterprise
    classicchevyshop.com

Cell# 1-206-300-0258

1955 2 DR Post
    1937 Chevy Coupe
    2023 Ford Super Duty F350 TREMOR
    2019 Corvette Z06
    1955 Chevy Nomad
    1935 Ford 2dr Slant back I have 4

Registered Member

Chevynut I'm sure you are right about the hole size , I was just guessing on that. If you want to sell a pair of good 56-57 Nomad tail gate hinges with the one piece pin,I am interested, Domenic
    Last edited by nomad; 06-21-2019 at 04:26 AM.

Registered Member

Chevynut,if you have a set of" Nomad 56-57" one piece pin type, tail gate hinges, that just need new pins and bushing I am very interested in buying them, as long as this dose not put you out in any way. Domenic