Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: 57 rear axle location

Member #:4170

57 rear axle location

I have never liked the looks of the stock rear axle location on the 57 chevy ... It appears to be too far forward and not centered with the wheel well opening... and don't forget about the rubbing in the front with a taller tire ... this 57 I have has had the spring pocket kit installed already , and is sitting on 2" lowering blocks ... has anyone moved the axle back an inch or so to aid in the cosmetic looks ??

what are my possible solutions ?

redrill springs for centerline location farther back ?? (never heard of that ?)

redrill spring pad for centerpin , or lowering block ??

what else is an SAFE way to do it ??

I don't care about having a new driveshaft made , I'm going to end up moving the engine mounts forward some for a Big block anyway ...

Member #:615
    redrill springs for centerline location farther back ?? (never heard of that ?)
    I would be concerned that putting an extra hole in the spring might weaken it. Ecklers list a spring with the pin 3/4 inch back but I just checked and they are temporarily out of stock.

redrill spring pad for centerpin , or lowering block
    That is what I would try if I decided to do it.

Member #:115
    I agree that if you're only looking at an inch, moving the hole in the pads or lowering blocks is the best way. Another way might be to order custom springs built to your specs, especially if you already need springs. There might even be some springs that work, but it's a long shot.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:4170
    well the car already has new springs, so I guess maybe I'll make my own 2" lowering blocks and offset the pin and hole 1" from each other and try it that way ,, (move them both 1/2" off center opposite ways ) .. thanks

Registered Member

Member #:1631
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelie View Post
    well the car already has new springs, so I guess maybe I'll make my own 2" lowering blocks and offset the pin and hole 1" from each other and try it that way ,, (move them both 1/2" off center opposite ways ) .. thanks
    wheelie,

Just theorizing here, as I've never done it myself (although I may in the near future)...for appearances sake, wouldn't you want to keep the lowering block centered on the axle mounting pad? I'm thinking I'd rather move the block's location in relation to the leaf spring, IMHO it would appear less conspicuous that way.

In any case, good luck!
    Cheers!

Ken in SSF
    56 One-Fifty Two-Door Sedan

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by kbuhagiar View Post
    wheelie,

Just theorizing here, as I've never done it myself (although I may in the near future)...for appearances sake, wouldn't you want to keep the lowering block centered on the axle mounting pad? I'm thinking I'd rather move the block's location in relation to the leaf spring, IMHO it would appear less conspicuous that way.

In any case, good luck!
    i totally agree. ��
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax