Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: roof damage

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Registered Member

Member #:4141

roof damage

55 2 door post tree fell on poor ole girl dented half the roof destroyed carport. looks like it pulled the rubber around the rear window about 3/4 inch into center of car. Question is how hard is this to fix or how expensive as its way above anything i can do. half roof is dented its creased but didnt break the glass sorry no pics still havent got it dug out of carport
    Last edited by ssjr103; 08-02-2019 at 10:49 AM.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    No way we can judge without photos. If it didn't break the glass that gives some hope that it could be repaired.

If all else failed, the top could be cut off at the pillars and a donor top welded on. Not really super difficult as far as the welding, but intensive on the measure twice cut once routine.

Registered Member

Member #:4141
    i am sure that gets real expensive. body work is my weakness. will get pics in the next week once i get it dug out. thks

Member #:115
    ANYTHING can be repaired with the right skills and tools. I would try metalworking it before I replaced it. You have nothing to lose.

The first step would be to rough out the damage with jacks or whatever is needed to get the metal back close to where it needs to be. After that, some bumping and maybe some hammer and dolly work and perhaps some shrinking would be required if the metal was stretched. It's hard to tell without seeing it but if the post and window openings are all good it shouldn't be that hard to fix. If it comes down to it, they do make reproduction roof skins.

Robert (MP&C) here is a metalworking genius and can probably give you a better assessment if you get pics.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:3477
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    ANYTHING can be repaired with the right skills and tools. I would try metalworking it before I replaced it. You have nothing to lose.

The first step would be to rough out the damage with jacks or whatever is needed to get the metal back close to where it needs to be. After that, some bumping and maybe some hammer and dolly work and perhaps some shrinking would be required if the metal was stretched. It's hard to tell without seeing it but if the post and window openings are all good it shouldn't be that hard to fix. If it comes down to it, they do make reproduction roof skins.

Robert (MP&C) here is a metalworking genius and can probably give you a better assessment if you get pics.
    Studwelder. I use a magnaspot.

Spot welds copper nails to the sheet metal and then you pull with a slidehammer. Strip the metal. Weld the nails. Pull. Bump with hammer as needed. Just pulled dents on the wheelhouses of my wagon. Got them almost fully pulled, then hit with evercoat. Sand. Dolphin skim coat. Paint ready.

You would be surprised what you are capable of. Just because you havent done it yet doesnt mean you are not capable. Just means you dont have the experience.

I didnt and became pretty capable.

Scorp

Member #:2017
    Unlocking creases starts at the bottom of page 25. "The Key to Metal Bumping" is another good resource.

http://www.hnsa.org/wp-content/uploa...ody-repair.pdf

What is your location? Could refer you to a local metalshaper to your location if you would prefer...
    Last edited by MP&C; 08-06-2019 at 06:35 AM.
    Robert

MP&C Shop Projects-Metalshaping Tutorials

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

Member #:3
    Hello Robert ,

Thanks for the information , this will help lots of people

Thanks Sid

1955 2 DR Post
    1937 Chevy Coupe
    2023 Ford Super Duty F350 TREMOR
    2019 Corvette Z06
    1955 Chevy Nomad
    1935 Ford 2dr Slant back I have 4

Member #:516
    Yes thank you Robert, I have a small crease in my roof where my fat a$$ stood on the roof!!!