Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Classic Edge Designs, LLC Prime Custom Cars, LLC MadMooks
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting Old & Eye problems

Member #:3217
    Your eyes sound similar to mine Rick. I also wore big thick glasses since age 11 or so. I am 71 now and had the surgeries about 10 yrs ago; Unless you choose to do something weird as I did (DON"T)... your doc will choose the best lens for you. I also had an astigmatism which cost me a bit more for the 'new' plastic lenses.. They can correct for the astigmatism with the new lens but it doesn't add $$ cost and the eye surgeon must 'orient' the new lens when he inserts it in the lens pocket.

Member #:1723
    I wonder if anyone has looked into Refractive Lens Exchange as an option, instead of the mono-vision lenses? I hear them advertised on the radio, but don't know if the results match the promises. Following is a link where you can get an overview: https://erikandersonmd.com/refractiv...-exchange-rle/.
    I have figured that if/when I have cataracts, I would look into this option.

BelAir O ... Thank you for your post and the link to RLE...

-------------------the main part I got from that is here -------------------------
    The good news is due to advances in technology these “over 40” vision problems can be fixed with RLE with use of the Symfony Lens. The Symfony Intraocular Lens [Johnson & Johnson Vision] unlike “single vision” lenses, is designed to help patients see over a range of distances. It provides high quality vision from the far distance to about arm’s length to minimize the use of eyeglasses. To keep it simple, the Symfony Lens is like wearing a +1.5 D reading glass. This gives good intermediate performance while maintaining excellent distance vision.

[COLOR=inherit !important]1. Tiny circular grooves extend the range of vision

[COLOR=inherit !important]2. Haptics, or side struts, hold the lens in place[/COLOR]

“Minimizes the use of eyeglasses.”

[/COLOR]

I have a friend who mentioned there was a technique to do both near and far field correction, but she didn't remember the details. From above, the mention of 'concentric' rings tells me that the corrective lens uses the concept of 'fresnel lens' when each tiny concentric groove implements a small part of a lens. Fresnel lens can be essentially flat, rather than exhibiting the normal characteristics of spherical optics. I'd love to hear from someone who has incorporated that technology to hear their story of their new vision. The marketing in that link seemed to apply more to younger people to eliminate glasses rather than to correct for cataracts, although obviously it would address both.

SID: I'm not real concerned over this 'diversion' from my build thread, but there's some good information here on cataracts and cataract surgery that would benefit from having it's owned labeled/titled thread. Could you remove these later cataract related posts and put them into a specific cataract thread? Thank you...
    Last edited by BamaNomad; 08-05-2019 at 06:37 AM.

Member #:1723
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post

The marketing in that link seemed to apply more to younger people to eliminate glasses rather than to correct for cataracts, although obviously it would address both.
    The consumer advocate guy I have heard on the radio is saying that the procedure is a good option for cataracts, and that people with cataracts are having this process done, and paying out of pocket for the upcharge for the different lenses (in fact, he says he had that done on his eyes). I don't know more than that, and would love to hear from someone that has used this method. I figured I would park the idea in my brain, until the future when I would be in the market for cataract surgery.
    Regards, Doug

Member #:115
    Sounds like a lot of us have the same experience with our vision. I have worn glasses since I was in 5th grade and I'm nearsighted with astigmatism in both eyes. I remember when I first got glasses and when we walked out of the optometrist's office I was amazed what I could actually see. I had no clue my vision was even bad before that.

I tried wearing contacts for 8 years from the late 80's into the mid 90's. I remember finally ditching them when I was in New Zealand on a honeymoon. We were driving around in motorhome/minivan and one day instead of putting in my contacts, I put my glasses on....I never wore the contacts again. They never felt good to me and I was always glad to get them out of my eyes. I couldn't hunt with them. I couldn't see very good up close with them. I'd rather wear my glasses full-time than carry reading glasses with me. I considered LASIK but decided it wasn't worth it for the same issue and I know people who had bad experiences with LASIK.

My close vision has always been good without my glasses. When I weld or read, I take my glasses off so I can see. I wear progressive lenses now and have for the past decade or more, but my close vision is still better without them.

Up until last week it had been 8 years since I went to the eye doctor. I used to go every year partly because I had vision insurance which I lost when I retired almost 7 years ago. I've noticed my vision getting worse over the recent years, and I've had more "floaters" than I ever had in my eyes.

Last week I finally went for an eye exam. Everything seems fine but my correction changed...some things better, some worse. There's nothing they can do for the floaters except some new laser treatment called LFR (Laser Floater Removal) that blows them up, but I don't think my insurance would pay for any of that. I may look into it if it gets worse. I have a large one in my right eye that's been bothering me. Doc says my retinas look good and he can't see any detachment or other issues.

Anyhow, I had trouble getting a good correction this time. In the past, I could always read the very bottom line with correction, better than 20/20. This time I could kinda read 20/20 even with the correction. I was seeing "double" or a "ghost" on some letters. When he changed the correction, the ghost got better but other lines blurred. I was told that was due to cataracts diffusing the light.

The Doc told me that most people have cataracts by the time they're in their mid-60's. Mine aren't bad, but they are starting to affect my vision. My mom just had her second eye done at 86 this past couple of weeks and she's having some trouble with it. I think it's because she now needs new correction in her glasses which hasn't been addressed yet.

It's good to hear some feedback on cataract surgery and what to do and what not to do.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

You can see my 56 Nomad build here http://www.picturetrail.com/chevynut

For affordable C4 Corvette Suspension conversions for your car, visit http://www.classicedgedesigns.com

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax

Registered Member 55 Rescue Dog's Avatar

Member #:2775
    If I had to describe my vision issues, believe it or not I could have copied cnut's experience. Except it was 3rd grade for me, and I have been sad ever since, when I found out as a little kid, I wouldn't ever be able to be an Air Force pilot like my dad, and uncles, because 20/20 used to be required.

Registered Member

Member #:1806
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post

Up until last week it had been 8 years since I went to the eye doctor.

It's good to hear some feedback on cataract surgery and what to do and what not to do.
    Its really important for everyone to visit an eye doctor yearly so they can check your pressure. When the pressure goes up it causes Glaucoma and you can loose vision. You won't know the pressure is up, and you won't notice the vision loss, because it is so gradual. Everyone should educate themselves about Glaucoma, its not about reading the lines.

Quote Originally Posted by 55 Rescue Dog View Post
    If I had to describe my vision issues, believe it or not I could have copied cnut's experience. Except it was 3rd grade for me, and I have been sad ever since, when I found out as a little kid, I wouldn't ever be able to be an Air Force pilot like my dad, and uncles, because 20/20 used to be required.
    I had qualified for a full Air Force ROTC scholarship until my eye issues came into play!~ In 1966, for pilots uncorrected vision had to be 20/20 or better, Even for navigators uncorrected vision could be no worse than 20/40 and it had to be corrected to 20/20! So I know what you mean...

So instead of going into the USAF as a STUDENT, getting paid E4 pay during school, and all costs paid until graduation and becoming a USAF officer, i quit college after 1 yr, enlisted in the USAF, attended college part time while in service, then used GI bill to get my BEE degree and eventually used up all my GI bill going to grad school!
    Last edited by BamaNomad; 08-07-2019 at 06:25 PM.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Anyhow, I had trouble getting a good correction this time. In the past, I could always read the very bottom line with correction, better than 20/20. This time I could kinda read 20/20 even with the correction.
    It's my understanding that this is the usual progression with cataracts. You go from good correction with glasses to "not quite" 20/20 with correction to the point where additional correction makes little or no difference.

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    then used GI bill to get my BEE degree and eventually used up all my GI bill going to grad school!
    Curious what is a "BEE" degree?

I got my BSME and thought about going to grad school, but decided it didn't make sense for me. My marriage broke up due to 6 1/2 years of working full-time and going to college 10-12 credit hours per semester, even in the summer. I was already getting paid more than guys with MS degrees and even some with PhDs. But I had no life. So I opted to focus on learning stuff on my own and excelling at work. It paid off.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

You can see my 56 Nomad build here http://www.picturetrail.com/chevynut

For affordable C4 Corvette Suspension conversions for your car, visit http://www.classicedgedesigns.com

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast