Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Classic Edge Designs, LLC Prime Custom Cars, LLC MadMooks
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Getting Old & Eye problems

Member #:3217
    Sorry.. didn't catch that typo and now it's too late to correct it except by THIS POST. ..

What I meant to type was BSE (Bachelor of Science in Engineering) degree; I took a specialty in Electrical/Electronic Engineering, but even with that the my BSE degree included MORE mechanical engineering courses than EE...

Registered Member

Member #:571
    my BSE degree included MORE mechanical engineering courses than EE...
    Seems odd, unless you're counting basic engineering courses that are required for any degree, such as statics and dynamics.

Member #:3217
    It felt odd to me too, but I didn't mind (too much) as I'm more mechanically inclined by nature; I can 'see' mechanical function and issues and I have to 'imagine' electrical problems/issues. The reason I chose UAH to continue my degree after getting out of the USAF was because of their 'general engineering' curriculum, as while I was in the USAF (Electronics - Airborne Communications/Navigation Electronics) I read newspaper article about engineers with specific degrees (electronics and aerospace) who when the government moved their contract $$ around, they were left to pump gas and do whatever jobs they could find. With 4+ yrs behind me in Electronics I wanted to put that knowledge to use in engineering, but didn't want to 'specialize' too much. I think the reason that the emphasis at UAH was so heavy in mechanical was due to the preponderance of mechanical professors over electronics. In addition to Statics, and Dynamics, we also were required to take Fluid mechanics/Dynamics, structural mechanics of deformable bodies, mechanical properties of materials, two courses in Fluid/Thermal Engineering, and some others I am not recalling names of (45 yrs ago!).. When I took my professional engineering tests I found the mechanical problems more easily done than the electrical problems and chose more of them to solve in getting my PE certificate, even though my work specialty was electronics and electro-optics.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    we also were required to take Fluid mechanics/Dynamics, structural mechanics of deformable bodies, mechanical properties of materials, two courses in Fluid/Thermal Engineering,
    Those were all required courses in mechanical engineering, but I don't recall students of other disciplines in any of my classes in those courses.

I've heard remarks that all electrical/electronic engineering courses are the same, just as you progress they ask harder questions. LOL

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123