Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Classic Edge Designs, LLC Prime Custom Cars, LLC MadMooks
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camaro dead again?

Member #:115

Camaro dead again?

"The year 2023 could feel a lot like 2002 for Chevrolet Camaro devotees. According to a new bombshell report, the seventh-generation Camaro program has been suspended and the pony car will likely die early next decade."

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...meplate-to-die
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

You can see my 56 Nomad build here http://www.picturetrail.com/chevynut

For affordable C4 Corvette Suspension conversions for your car, visit http://www.classicedgedesigns.com

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax

Member #:3217
    ... or .. they may make it into a 4-dr Charger look alike sedan...

Member #:3606
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    ... or .. they may make it into a 4-dr Charger look alike sedan...
    That's just so wrong. I would rather see it go away.
    56-210, 283, 200-4R, Power steering, Power Brakes

Registered Member

Member #:4017
    I read the mustang is out selling it big time. Cost per pound is up, the Camaro is over 4200 pounds isn’t the mustang a lot less cost and weight?

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by Gmvette View Post
    I read the mustang is out selling it big time. Cost per pound is up, the Camaro is over 4200 pounds isn’t the mustang a lot less cost and weight?
    The 2019 Camaro SS coupe is 3685 pounds with a manual transmission and 6.2L V8 at 455HP @ 6000 RPM. The convertible is 3932 pounds. The ZL1 coupe is 3883 pounds with the same equipment but with a supercharged 650HP@6400RPM 6.2L engine, bigger brakes, etc. Weight depends a lot on options added.

The 2019 Mustang GT350 has a 5.2L with the most powerful model currently at 560HP@7500 RPM. Weight varies from 3520 to 3800 pounds.

It's hard to compare the costs because of all the different options you can add. The Camaro starts at $25,000 with the ZL-1 starting at $62,000. The Mustang starts at $26,395 and the GT350 starting at $61,340. I'd say the cars are comparably priced.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

You can see my 56 Nomad build here http://www.picturetrail.com/chevynut

For affordable C4 Corvette Suspension conversions for your car, visit http://www.classicedgedesigns.com

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Seems to me that the Camaro and Mustang are two very comparable cars of similar weight, performance, and cost. The difference is the badge and styling, so you pick the one you like if you're in the market.

I see far more Mustangs than Camaros around here, but I've also seen claims that more Camaros are being made. So I don't know.

There's some paradoxical info coming from the automakers. Ford says it wants to quit making passenger cars except the Mustang. GM is putting out feelers about discontinuing the Camaro. Obviously they are not on the same page here. Both have a stake in electric cars but I think they both may be biding their time on whether to escalate the push and when.

GM can take the easy way out on the Camaro and do little or no development, then just continue with what the have a bit longer if they choose.

The immediate future of electric cars and cars in general is going to be heavily influenced by the 2020 election.

Registered Member

Member #:4017
    I hope to see both Camaro and Mustang go on as both are necessary to keep both fires burning.

The Trans Am series would seemingly dry up without both as they are most of the field. I hope electric is not the only future. The whole energy structure of the whole country would change to upgrade the power grid to sustain electrical power we now use gasoline for.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    There is still a Trans Am series? Could have fooled me.

Member #:3217
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    There is still a Trans Am series? Could have fooled me.
    There's the Historic Trans Am... Check this link for some great photos from the 2019 Historic Trans Am races at Monterrey.

http://www.historictransam.com/racep...onterey-1.html

The photos and information are fabulous! I especially like seeing the yellow '69 Z28 (#64) driven by Chad Raynal, as that car always brings back old memories for me.

I was serving in the USAF at Keesler AFB with Rick Sterbins when he purchased the car, driving it on the street (new or almost new? since I can't remember the exact year - '69 I think). Rick, a SSgt at the time, had been driving one of the Shelby prepared '66 Mustang notchbacks while stationed in Europe and after an accident in one of the road races there, the USAF brought him back to the US and 'encouraged' him to sell the Mustang and 'stop racing'... Another friend, Michael Seus, bought the race-prepped Mustang and detuned it a little for the street, and Rick bought the '69 z28 as his street car driving it to work (and to the auto hobby shop during all our 'off-duty' hours)... Apparently Rick converted the car as a Trans Am car sometime after our acquaintance.

Member #:516
    Quote Originally Posted by Gmvette View Post
    The Trans Am series would seemingly dry up without both as they are most of the field. I hope electric is not the only future. The whole energy structure of the whole country would change to upgrade the power grid to sustain electrical power we now use gasoline for.
    Next thing we'll see is little grooves in the road and we'll be riding in "Slot Cars"!!! No passing no racing and they can control our speed by turning down the power!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast