Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Classic Edge Designs, LLC Prime Custom Cars, LLC MadMooks
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another frustrating experience with vendor

Member #:115

Another frustrating experience with vendor

I decided that rather than to bother painting my Nomad tailgate bumper brackets I'd just order a pair of "polished stainless" ones from a tri5 part vendor. This is a part that this vendor makes and he's the only one reproducing them in "polished stainless" that I know of.

Here's what an original one looks like....

So I ordered a pair of the "polished stainless" brackets ($25+ shipped) and when I got them I noticed a couple of things. First off, the original brackets are over 0.090" thick steel. The "polished stainless" brackets are 0.045" thick (probably 18 gauge). Secondly, I noticed that the inside surfaces were not polished, but had sanding marks on them. Also, on one part the sanding marks are straight and the other part they're circular like they were made with an orbital (DA) sander. The outside of the parts have a peel-off film like you see on polished stainless sheet. I sent these pics....

20190816_013.JPG

20190816_014.JPG

So I politely contacted the vendor and asked why the inside of the parts that shows the most is not polished and if I somehow got a bad pair. I said it looked like the film was removed after laser cutting and the slag was sanded off and the part wasn't re-polished. I suggested that it would have been fine with me if the outside wasn't polished because I could do that myself. But I can't polish the inside. I got a pretty nasty reply saying that nobody in 20 years has ever complained about their parts, and they are made from pre-polished stainless steel. He said one side is polished and the other is not. He said it comes from the mill like that.

So I sent another e-mail and asked why he advertises the parts as "polished stainless" when they're not and said when I buy "polished stainless" parts I expect them to be polished on all surfaces that show when installed. The largest polished surface is the area where they rest against the tailgate and it doesn't show. I told him I've never seen polished stainless sheet that's only polished on one side and sanded on the other (it may exist) and asked why one part has straight sanding marks and the other orbital. I also sent him this pic that clearly shows the sanded side was polished before it was sanded.

20190819_001.JPG

I said I had concerns about the thin metal and that although stainless is stronger than regular steel, even the much thicker original parts got bent. I have a few bent ones. I asked why they didn't use stainless that had the film on both sides so both sides were polished, and he never addressed that. I told him the parts aren't going on my car.

I got another nasty reply repeating that they've never had anyone complain about their parts, and that I'm "just one of those customers". He said he refunded my money and told me to never buy anything from them again.

I replied and told him that I had bought from them in the past and always had a good experience, but if he didn't want me to buy from them that's fine because I can buy anything I need from many other dealers, and prefer not to deal with a vendor who's so defensive and in denial. I thanked him for the refund.

It's pretty clear to me that their manufacturer buys polished stainless sheet (polished both sides), laser cuts the parts, removes the film from one side and sands the parts to remove laser slag, then forms them. Virtually every laser cut part has some small slag deposits on the back side of the cut and sometimes it's really bad depending on laser setup. For $25 you would think they'd form them the opposite direction and then polish the outside surfaces. I guess I'm just too picky about stuff and expect "polished stainless" parts to be polished.

So now I'm back to painting some original or repop steel parts. Anyone want some "polished stainless" brackets that aren't?
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

You can see my 56 Nomad build here http://www.picturetrail.com/chevynut

For affordable C4 Corvette Suspension conversions for your car, visit http://www.classicedgedesigns.com

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax

Member #:1653
    I see more and more of this type of crap from vendors every day. Walking the exhibition grounds during this last Trifive Nats, so many vendors had what I would call unacceptable components or finished assemblies. As with many things recently, when we as the public continue to accept it, it becomes the new standard. Rather than shaming them in every way possible we throw up our hands and give up. All a refund does is open the door for the next shopper.

Registered Member 55 Rescue Dog's Avatar

Member #:2775
    Sorry you didn't get what you want, but to me those are just obscure parts that will never be attractive no matter what, and better off just black, and maybe just some shiny bolts.
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 08-20-2019 at 04:16 PM.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    What did you expect for $25 shipped? The guy is not exactly getting rich off these parts at that price. He's giving you a bargain, even if it's not the one you were looking for.

My guess is that a pair of those would cost $125 or more if you got .090" material and full polish. Maybe more. And that's if the supplier made a bunch of them to sell.

Member #:3
    Stainless only comes from the Mills with one side Polish its called #8 Polished

So They would have to cut the part ,Polish the other side then formed it , And the cost would be around $75-$100 Per Set

Sid

1955 2 DR Post
    1937 Chevy Coupe
    2019 Ford Suoer Duty F350
    2018 Ford Explorer
    1955 Chevy Nomad
    1934 Plymouth PE Coupe

Member #:3217
    .. another reason to stay 'original'...

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    What did you expect for $25 shipped?
    I expected to get what he advertised.....Polished stainless. If he would have said they were .045" and only polished on the side that doesn't matter, I wouldn't have bought them.

For affordable C4 Corvette Suspension conversions for your car, visit http://www.classicedgedesigns.com

Other vehicles:

1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Quote Originally Posted by 567chevys View Post
    Stainless only comes from the Mills with one side Polish its called #8 Polished

I have some polished stainless sheet that's polished both sides and has a film both sides. It's commonly available like that.

So They would have to cut the part ,Polish the other side then formed it , And the cost would be around $75-$100 Per Set
    Sid
    [/QUOTE]

Like I said, if they were was polished inside and I had to polish them outside myself I could deal with that. I've polished a lot of parts myself. I feel they misrepresented the parts by calling them "polished stainless" because they're not. I firmly believe they used stainless that was polished both sides, based on the picture showing the polished corner of the sanded side. It's clear to me that they were sanded after laser cutting, and I think that's obvious since the hole edges are perfectly smooth. Why would a stainless mill use different sanders on this material?

Other vehicles:

1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    .. another reason to stay 'original'...
    Yep, there's a lot of garbage repop stuff out there. I was just trying to avoid having to paint them the color of the tailgate since it's tricoat. A black bracket on a light tan tailgate would look like shit, and I know some people don't care about that but I do. And I think the original parts are a lot stronger than these thin "polished" stainless parts.

A big part of my dissatisfaction with this deal was the guys attitude about it.
    Last edited by chevynut; 08-20-2019 at 10:47 PM.

Other vehicles:

1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Member #:3217
    Paint your originals with the car color - but using an easier paint type for that part; it will be a slightly different shade, but IMO that adds interest in many situations...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast