Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Extra holes, and dimples, by Vin tag on " 57 "

Registered Member

Member #:3799

Extra holes, and dimples, by Vin tag on " 57 "

My restorer has the 1957 Nomad completely stripped down to bare metal, and the driver's door post by the stainless steel Vin. tag the car has a couple of extra 1/8 holes, and some dimples by this area. I have seen this on other 1957 Chevrolets . Can anyone say why they did this ? Shouldn't these extra holes, and dimples, be left in the door post if I am trying for a very correct restoration? If anybody knows a Chevrolet judge, and can give me an answer if it's best to leave them in their. I think it would look better if they were filled in. Did all the 1957 Chevrolets have the extra holes and dimples ?

Banned

Member #:2775
    Originally they were spot welded on somehow, and it left a couple of dimples. Just epoxy it on, and fill in the dimples a little but not completely, then paint over it, and no one will probably notice, unless they tried to chisel it off. Just don't rivet it on.
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 01-17-2020 at 04:50 PM.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    I don't think he's talking about the VIN tag itself, just the general area.

The factory sometimes put a dimple where a hole might be drilled later. In this area, it might be for fasteners for a conduit to run wires for power windows to the doors. Holes maybe for the same thing. But it sounds like too many. A photo would help out.

Member #:3217
    We need a photo of the area in question. The correct placement and attachment of your Nomad VIN is too important to take a chance on misunderstanding your question...

Member #:615
    The extra dimples and holes in the door jam are normal.

Used-1957-Chevrolet-Bel-Air-Convertible.jpg

The two holes were put in when the jam was made. They are for cars exported to assembly plants in other parts of the world. They were pre-drilled for the overseas assembly plant to attach the VIN tag with rivets. Since the US VIN tags were spot welded on the holes were not used.

If you are building a completely restored car leave them alone. If you are building a modified car you can fill them.

Here is a picture of an Australian VIN tag.australian VIN.jpg
    Last edited by Tabasco; 01-18-2020 at 04:58 AM.

Registered Member carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)'s Avatar

Member #:33
    good stuff Tabasco.
    ARMY NAM VET, very proud!

56 210 4dr

drive and enjoy them while you work on them, life is to short.

Registered Member

Member #:4017
    Wow, that overseas tag looks so unprofessional. The GM tag looks like it was made in a factory. The overseas tag looks like it was “pounded out” on a garage work bench.

thank you for sharing.

Registered Member

Member #:3799
    Tabasco, as well as all others who replied to the post thank you for the info on the extra holes, and dimples in the Vin tag area. My original stainless steel vin tag is still spot welded to the door post. Tabasco's picture, and explanation of the purpose for the extra holes ,and dimples finally explains to me why they did this. If I can learn how to post pictures on this site I will do so. So far I have not figured this out . Domenic

Member #:615
    I also found picture of a Mexican Trifive VIN tag.

mexican VIN.jpg

It looks more professional.

Banned

Member #:2941
    My '57 210 4dr sedan was manufactured in Canada. Still wears her '76 Saskatchewan rear plate. (I keep Texas Antique car plate and registration in glove box.) Never had a stainless VIN tag on windshield post. Has an aluminum ID tag riveted to firewall with engine number and body serial number stamped on. Marked "GM of Canada, Ltd.". There is a second aluminum tag with codes for body style and colour, but the code numbers are different than US codes. There are many small differences as well. Radiator is same as US except top tank is not marked 'Harrison'. Voltage regulator cover is stamped 'Made in Canada'. 235 engine casting looks nicely done. Has a more finished appearance than I recall my earlier US made engine castings having. Valve cover on 6-cylinder engine does not have 'Chevrolet' script as US made engines do. Original paint looks to be baked on DuPont enamel, not acrylic. I believe the enamel paint helped preserve the old girl (yes, she really did come out of a barn in Regina, Saskatchewan 22 years ago).

Happy Motoring,

Harry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast