Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Classic Edge Designs, LLC Prime Custom Cars, LLC MadMooks
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: and so...the money & madness continues to spread out

Member #:530

and so...the money & madness continues to spread out

The spread of the village idiots continues...

https://www.foxnews.com/real-estate/...operty-wyoming

Laszlo...hurry up and buy that land in Wyoming. The prices are going up, up, up and the Californian's are coming, coming, coming...

Jump in here and let it rip.
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by WagonCrazy View Post
    Laszlo...hurry up and buy that land in Wyoming. The prices are going up, up, up and the Californian's are coming, coming, coming...

Jump in here and let it rip.
    Saw that this morning. These idiots think they're "ranchers". LOL

I looked at a property in the Black Hills of Wyoming a month or so ago and decided to stick with Montana. I'm wanting to buy a fairly large parcel that I can hunt on, and Wyoming's hunting is way too restricted. As a landowner I can get a landowner license pretty easily, but if I wanted to invite friends or family to hunt in that area it would take them 10 years to get an elk license. If I subdivided the land into 160 acre parcels, each parcel would be able to get a license....but it has to be a family member. That have stupid hunting laws in Wyoming and season structure sucks. Montana is largely unlimited hunting except in a few areas and seasons are long. Licenses aren't cheap for nonresidents, but at least you can get one fairly easily, at least every other year.

We've tried to buy two Montana parcels the past two years. The first was part of a ranch that the owners were wanting to sell to pay off some debt. We made 3 offers and couldn't close a deal. Our last offer was at the high end of market and I refused to go higher because it had no surface water on it. The second parcel was one we looked at last August (2018). I loved the place, it had a stream and 3 ponds but there were a few issues....power was 3.5 miles away and there was a conservation easement on the property. We were doing a market study and investigating the cost of power/solar and talking to the land steward about easement restrictions. Based on what I found out, we were preparing an offer and were told by the realtor that they had already turned down more than we were willing to offer. So I backed off and thought I'd contact the owner, who I found via Montana documents to see if we could work a deal somehow and get the realtor out of the middle. Then the stock market took a dump and I went on the sidelines, hoping to resume this summer since it had been on the market 2-3 years. They had dropped the price around the end of last year, right when the stock market bottomed. The place sold in April. I'm still bummed.

I have a realtor in Helena with lots of connections looking for us. He showed us 4 parcels last year but none of them were really what we wanted. I asked him to use "unconventional" means to find a place, like a "pocket listing" or seeing if a ranch for sale would split off some of the property into a smaller parcel that we can afford. There's tons of places for sale but most are too small or too big, not in the right place, or whatever.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

You can see my 56 Nomad build here http://www.picturetrail.com/chevynut

For affordable C4 Corvette Suspension conversions for your car, visit http://www.classicedgedesigns.com

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax

Member #:2941
    I loved the place, it had a stream and 3 ponds but there were a few issues....power was 3.5 miles away and there was a conservation easement on the property.
    Laszlo, thanks for posting this. Just goes to show that even old guys such as I can learn something new every day. I spent 25 + years here in Texas working for City Engineers in several municipalities and for the County Engineer, as well. Easements, Fee Strips, Rights-of-Way and various sundry other things you run across on sealed surveys were things I looked at every day. In all that time, I never heard of a 'conservation easement'. I had to google the term just now to figure out what the heck it is.

I agree wholeheartedly with your decision not to buy a property whereby as a condition of purchase...... You must 'voluntarily' agree on a legal document to allow some entity to essentially tell you what you can or cannot do on your own land. That's nuts...... Kinda like having an HOA on acreage.

Its your land and nobody else's. If you own acreage and its outside the city limits and not within the extraterritorial jurisdiction of a municipality...... Except for any applicable county, state and federal laws...... Its yours to do with as you please. And I'll add...... If you buy land here in Texas...... Make sure you get the mineral rights. We are sitting on more oil here than all the Middle East. You might just end up with a couple wells pumping 'black gold' on the back 40.

Best regards,

Harry
    Last edited by enigma57; 09-23-2019 at 11:52 AM.
    'G-d Bless The U.S.A.'...... Lee Greenwood......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_5aoptI5j0

Registered Member

Member #:4017
    That’s not the worst of it............they are liberals. And with that there is more bad news to come.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    A "conservation easement" is not that uncommon. A friend has one on the property he owns in the Texas hill country. Essentially he can't clear that portion of his land. But he knew that going in. I don't know how it originated or who controls it. Likely an agreement between a developer and gov't, maybe with the influence of some environmental group.

Generally, easements are created by either exchange of money or something else of value between the landowner and the easement authority. The easement is passed on when the property is sold. You'll never get it back. Many easements are welcome, it's where electric and telephone lines, and water and sewer lines get extended to your property. Where it gets potentially painful is when eminent domain comes into play, where a gov't or similar entity wants to build a highway, a railroad, or an airport.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Maybe we need a wall along the Nevada border too.

Thanks, Rick! That's pretty much what I figured. I retired 9 years ago. Worked for the Harris County Engineer, and City Engineers in Houston, Missouri City and Pearland over a 25 year period and worked heavy construction before that after leaving military service. Over that 25 year period, I probably averaged 30 - 35 engineering plan reviews and field inspections a day including reviews and comments on plats to be recorded. Never heard of a 'conservation easement' in all that time.

Must be something new or something to be careful of in areas of the state controlled by well meaning but misguided liberals. I went to high school in the hill country...... San Marcos (27 miles South of Austin in those days, probably darned near a suburb of Austin now of days). Even in the '60s, Austin was an ultra-liberal enclave compared to the great majority of Texas and we only went up there when we had to. Nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there was how we saw it in those days. Wife and I have been there a few times in recent years. They have some interesting places to eat and rub elbows with the locals. Nice folks...... Just don't get into a political discussion with them and everybody will have a good time.

Appreciate the heads up. When my wife retires and we can put Houston in our rearview mirror at long last, we would like to buy some acreage up in the Texas hill country and build our home there. And we'll make darned sure there are no HOAs, no code enforcement folks and no 'conservation easements' wherever we build. You can count on that.

Much obliged,

Harry
    Last edited by enigma57; 09-25-2019 at 02:06 AM.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Like I said, I don't know how that conservation easement started, and that portion of that land can't be cleared or improved. The good news is that it's a little gully leading down to a creek that's off his property, it has some nice trees on it, so leaving it alone isn't all that bad anyway.

Member #:3217
    The 'legal' conservation easement sounds very similar to what farmers/land owners have been doing for years (wtihout the legal restrictions)... In the south we generally refer to the row of trees separating fields and properties as a 'hedgerow'...

Actually, we would like to build on a 5 to 15 acre wooded lot and we would only clear enough land for a drive and for our home and 25 ft. around it. The remainder, we would leave untouched. What we don't want, though...... Is anyone telling us what to do or not do on our own property.

Best regards,

Harry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast