Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wheels/tires for my Bel Air

Registered Member

Member #:571
    And once again the message is Chevynut's way or the highway.

Isn't it time for you to go shoot some defenseless animals?

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    And once again the message is Chevynut's way or the highway.

Isn't it time for you to go shoot some defenseless animals?
    And once again Ricky starts his typical bullshit. GMvette started the crap by saying the wheels should be "centered", whatever the hell that means. How the hell do you "center" a wheel in a non-symetrical wheelwell? It's always okay with you when someone else says it should be this way or that way and you never challenge them. The fact is, most tri5s are lowered these days, and the wheels are not "centered" in the wheelwell. Even you might know why they do that. Even yours, if you still have it, is probably lowered with the wheels not "centered". By the way, is that LS engine out of the crate yet?

And you show your total ignorance about hunting too. Fool.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:2442
    Quote Originally Posted by Custer55 View Post
    Still not able to upload any photos. Will try again later.

A couple pictures of my son's 59 Mercury with his new wheels and tires. They still wouldn't load to the site from my computer. I had to copy from a different site.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    I sure get a lot of positive comments from people about the look and overall stance of my cars. I always wonder who this everyone Cnut refers and where he gets his BS stats that are never cited.

Registered Member

Member #:4017
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    In other words, you don't care for lowered cars that almost everyone today has and the resulting improvement in handling. I get it now. I thought you meant wheels not centered fore and aft. Most of us lower our cars on purpose because stock height looks stupid with larger than the old school stock wheels and handling sucks. But it's your car, so do what you like.
    Lower is ok with a wheel/tire size that fits the vintage car with a look that don’t make it look as if they were shoved in there without the over all vintage design and look of the car violated. That’s IMHO. A trifive is not a C7 corvette and I would not expect it to have those characteristics. Extreme visual reengineering on vintage cars can cause their character to be lost. Again one can do what ever they want to their car no matter what others voice. Sharing likes and dislikes can be done without descent between posters.

And stock height does not look stupid, it is just as relevant as lowered. Neither do stock wheels and tires suck. They were in past years quite appealing in retaining originality or period look. As for handling, some like the vintage ride as it is the “old feel”. A lot can be done to improve it if one desires and still retain a vintage 50’s look. Again IMHO.

I agree it’s your car do as you like.

Banned

Member #:2775
    Well said Gmv. As far as handling, a stock shoebox could comfortably fly right on by a C7 Corvette on a rough road in a cloud of dust, which is what these cars were good at, and looked good doing it.

Member #:3217
    Agree... well stated by GMvette.

I would guess that 95% or better of us fell in love with these cars way before the current trend of making them LOW. I loved the first ones I ever saw, and they were all at 'stock height'... I PREFER them to retain the original look, but one can do that and use a lower profile radial tire which will lower the car some and greatly improve handling/braking/steering without drastically changing the character of the car.

Strap your 'low rider' to a trailer and haul it to/from a show once or twice, then let us know how much fun it is trying to tie onto something to strap it down when there is barely enough room for your arm to get under there, and NO room to see what you are doing!

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Well put guys, no use for in the weeds look.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123