Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: This was Interesting

Registered Member

Member #:3477
    So CN, this is the ongoing hard start issue. I thought, and perhaps wrongly that fuel was washing back from the carbs. I could see it held before the pump, but the lines after were dry. Fuel is going somewhere.

Nothing is leaking but perhaps the fuel pump is faulty- its new, but that doesnt mean anything.

So my plan is to take Rick's advice, plumb in a 100 micron filter before the pump, and then run to a Fuel Lab 10 micron with a built in check valve after the pump but before the carbs. Regardless of the pump situation thats the right filter set-up to the carbs.

I was hoping to get the wiring sorted, and then run the 55 for a while. However, I have a 12 bolt posi from a 70 chevelle, which I am having cut down to fit the Wagon. He's going to take it apart, powdercoat the housing, shorten it to 60", reinstall the 3:91 gears with new Moser axles. Once the stock rear is out, I am pulling the tank, replacing it and running a 3/8 line with an electric pump.

Its done then and its only money right?

And not a word about an FI conversion, otherwise I am going to install my SY1 intake with an 830 cfm carb, and send you a pic everyday.

Scorp
    Last edited by scorpion1110; 09-16-2019 at 07:09 PM. Reason: forgot a word

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Sounds like a cool project with an excellent choice of parts.

Registered Member

So I ended up walking things back a little as I laid out the fuel system. I am running an old school hotrod, street driven with the vintage vibe and the right mix of old and new. When I looked at the filters I didnt like the sizing. They were simply too big for the look I want.

So I need some more opinions from the Group.

My plan was to run this 100 micron before the electric pump:

Attachment 10165

Its rather gigantic.

So I went looking for a 100micron that would support the Airtex marine pump I am using to prime my system. It will be as noted above a 100 micron fuel filter to electric pump (to prime) to mechanical pump to 35 micron to check valve to carbs. Had to switch out the $175 Fuellab 10 micron filter as well because its also huge (Its for sale

So I went searching for a 100micron that would be smaller and work with the Airtex pump and found a perfect fit Edelbrock shown here:

Attachment 10166

Only I realized upon receipt it specified diesel:

Attachment 10167

I bought it off Ebay and the ad didnt mention diesel. Of course I saw when I received and then went looking to see if Edelbrock made one for gas. They do but its 40 micron.

It seems the Diesel filter is only made at 100 microns and the gas at 40. I want to use the 100. I did some web reading and I cant see that there is a difference between the filters.

Can anyone think of a reason that the 100 micron diesel filter would be a problem? its perfect size.

Thanks, Scorp

Registered Member

Member #:571
    The problem I'd suspect, if it was a factor, would be that the glue they use to glue the pleated element to the end caps dissolves or is otherwise affected by gasoline or especially ethanol.

Registered Member

Rick would you give it a try?

Registered Member

Member #:571
    My thought is there is a reason they labeled it the way they did.

A filter is too cheap to try to use a questionable one.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    My thought is there is a reason they labeled it the way they did.

A filter is too cheap to try to use a questionable one.
    And the answer from Edelbrock tech was......

No issue using the 100 micron with regular pump gas.

So if you are looking for a smaller 100 micron for pre-pump filter, and you dont want one the size of a beer can, here you go.

Scorp

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12