Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WTB external Oil filter for a 265

Member #:3217
    Jersey Body: I stopped at my shop today and found *another* 1955 Oil Filter, complete wtih the lines. In cleaning it, I broke one of the lines (but the lines themselves probably should be replaced anyway). This was grease covered, and when I opened it up, it still had an oil filter and some oil in it... yuk~ I spent an hour or two cleaning it up. It still has some of the orange/blue paint on it meaning it was an OTC purchase rather than 'factory installed' - but painting it black makes it into a 'factory installed unit'. Given your car is unrestored, this one might be perfect for your car as it is... ? I'll send you some photos tomorrow...

Gary

Registered Member

Member #:4199
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    Jersey boy, I assume you're the driver of those two teens riding in the car in your photo?

Yes, the oil filter bolts under the thermostat housing. The 6-cyl oil filter (for '55 and other years for the six) clamps to the manifold (ie. totally different). There are two steel (or copper?) lines to connect into the oil system. You should be able to see the oil line connectors in the photos of the oil filter, one from the bottom of the filter and one from the side. I'll look for the top bolt for this filter, but if I can't find it I may have another extra which is complete. I'll look for that one also.

BamaNomad / Gary
    Gary Im sorry I thought I responded to you yes Im the other Teen in the drivers seat believe it or not thats Bobs happy face . Yes please let me know when you have one that I can purchase, let me know what you want for it. I can drop a USPS MO in the mail or do PayPal if you have an account ill pay the fees and of corse whatever shipping is .I can PM you my address if that works thanks again for taking the time to do so. Im not in any rush either
    thanks
    Jess AKA Jerseyboy

I soaked the rusty oil filter in evaporust overnight, and it came out nice... ready to prime/paint to your desires. I also cleaned up and out (removing old filter and ugh oil) the second OIl Filter assembly I found in my shop. There a separate photo of the bolt (and spring) which was missing from the first one and which I haven't found (and may not have). I will sell you either one, in whatever form you want it, with or without the bolt spring~

The one that I didn't have the bolt/spring for was originally 'black' (from the paint residue) meaning factory installed; the other has orange/blue residue meaning it was an over the counter part purchased/installed after the dealership received the car it was installed on.

Since I broke one of the oil lines cleaning the second one, I went by a parts store this morning and purchased two new oil lines after measuring the originals.

Gary
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BamaNomad; 09-23-2019 at 09:50 AM.

Registered Member

IMG_5571.jpg thanks to BamaNomad/Gary I will be restoring the OEM external oil filter ...my full time job will be in the way next few weeks ill be travling .I also orded the decal and correct filter carttrige thanks to Chevynut ill update as I make some progress
    Jerseyboy/Jess
    Last edited by Jerseyboy; 09-28-2019 at 06:57 AM. Reason: spell

Jess,

Hold off on ordering the filter that CN suggested until you verify. I do not believe the 131 he referenced is correct for the '55 accessory filter housing. I think that one is used with the integrated '56-57 filter assembly.

The '55 accessory housing used a shorter fatter filter such as the NAPA1100 filter. https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/FIL1100

Registered Member

Member #:1806
    It may be rusted when you get back after a few weeks, the evaporust doesn't offer any rust protection, so some of those hard to reach areas might need some more evaporust to clean them up again.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    Jess,

Hold off on ordering the filter that CN suggested until you verify. I do not believe the 131 he referenced is correct for the '55 accessory filter housing. I think that one is used with the integrated '56-57 filter assembly.

The '55 accessory housing used a shorter fatter filter such as the NAPA1100 filter. https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/FIL1100
    ok I cancelled the filter cartrige thanx

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by LEE T View Post
    It may be rusted when you get back after a few weeks, the evaporust doesn't offer any rust protection, so some of those hard to reach areas might need some more evaporust to clean them up again.
    thanks LEE T.. I have sprayed it with a pruduct called After Blast from Eastwood that ussually buys me some time between applying a finish. When I return we shall see the results. I will either dip it again or beed blast prep it and get it in the oven .....Here is a question for all GLOSS black or SATIN ?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12