Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: My cruiser to the 2008 Nostalgia Nationals in Bowling Green, KY... :)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Member #:3217

My cruiser to the 2008 Nostalgia Nationals in Bowling Green, KY... :)

I was sorting thru old car show photos and car photos and came across some 10 yrs old that I'd forgotten about. I thought some of you 'metal working' gurus might appreciate this one, even though not a Chevy! Not mine, but belonged to father/son friends of mine; we had a blast driving that thing to/from and through the nationals that year! People were doing double takes at the 'straight up' Mercury Man as we cruised slowly thru the grounds (opposite of 'spinning wheels, as the mercury man didn't rotate with the wheel)..
    The car was so low that when we backed up onto the grass, the tail pipes dug two furrows in the grass..

PS. The metal work was done by a famous Mercury 'chopper' near me in Ardmore TN... NO bondo used where he chopped the roof; all welding by acetylene torch... and obviously the car wasn't painted after; paint is the same as when it was found out in the Dakotas with 'fifties' paint on it. After his chopping, the owners wanted to retain the patina, so he 'dusted the welds with white paint from a spray can! He had chopped over 50 Mercurys at that time more than 10 yrs ago...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BamaNomad; 09-22-2019 at 07:50 PM.