Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: Full floor pan replacement

Registered Member

Member #:5146

Full floor pan replacement

I am replacing the floor pan from the toe kick to the tail gate on my 57 210 2 door handyman. Would anybody have pictures of how they did the bracing? I have found a lot of Bel airs and 210 2 doors as examples but none of how a wagon is braced. I have my ideas but wanted your input before I started. Thank you
    57 Chevy 210 2 door Handyman

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by MicB View Post
    I am replacing the floor pan from the toe kick to the tail gate on my 57 210 2 door handyman. Would anybody have pictures of how they did the bracing? I have found a lot of Bel airs and 210 2 doors as examples but none of how a wagon is braced. I have my ideas but wanted your input before I started. Thank you
    I didn't do any bracing on my Nomad because I felt the body was rigid enough without it. I left the inner rockers in while I replaced the floor, then I replaced the inner and outer rockers with the floor in place. To me, the most important thing to brace on a sedan or wagon is the door jamb to cowl, to ensure that it doesn't close up on you.

My floor was an un-assembled 2-piece floor pan and new braces which was only available from one supplier at the time. Nowadays it's much easier with the full floors offered cheap. The floor itself pretty much determines the fit so imo there's no need to brace the inner quarters. It doesn't hurt to brace things but I really don't think it helps, but it depends on how much of your floor and rockers are good.

I also did the floor in a 2DHT and did some bracing, but not a lot. It came out great and the doors fit well. I would recommend having the doors on when you change the floor if you can, to verify the fit to the quarters.

I put the floor on the frame and bolted it down with new body cushions, then I prepped the body and dropped it down onto the floor. I used clamps and screws to hold it all together as I located everything, then I removed the floor and drilled all the plug weld holes, dropped the body back down, and did the welding. Be sure to fix all the flanges and everything on the body before installing the floor.

20200102_002.JPG

20200413_010.JPG

20200517_018.JPG

20200517_017.JPG
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:5146
    Great advice and thank you for the pictures!
    57 Chevy 210 2 door Handyman