Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: Power Pack car

Registered Member

Member #:4238

Power Pack car

Hi everyone.

Here's a newbie question. I didn't have a lot of luck with the search.

What is a Powerpack car? I assume it has something to do with the engine. Sounds like a sports model. How do I know if my car has it/is it? It's a 4 door so I'm guessing it wouldn't have anything special on it, though it is a 283.

The number on the boss is F409F. Someone swapped out the intake and carb so I have no idea what was original. Does it affect other parts of the car? Huge learning curve here. I usually mess with Corvairs and Valiants

Thanks everyone.

Mike

Member #:115
    My understanding is that the Power Pack engine was a 283 with different heads and 4-barrel carb, plus dual exhaust. The heads had a triangle on them.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:3
    The base two barrel heads just had the rectangle on the ends while the 4 barrel (power pack) heads had the triangle on top of the rectangle. A bit better breathing and bigger valves than the two barrel heads.

Sid

1955 2 DR Post
    1937 Chevy Coupe
    2023 Ford Super Duty F350 TREMOR
    2019 Corvette Z06
    1955 Chevy Nomad
    1935 Ford 2dr Slant back I have 4

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Quote Originally Posted by 567chevys View Post
    The base two barrel heads just had the rectangle on the ends while the 4 barrel (power pack) heads had the triangle on top of the rectangle. A bit better breathing and bigger valves than the two barrel heads.

Sid
    Powerpack heads shared same 1.72/1.5 valves as 2 barrel, they had better ports and smaller combustion chambers for higher compression. I believe the cam may have been higher lift in early years too.

Member #:3217
    If your engine was stamped 'F409F' then it came from the factory with std heads (NON power pak), 2-bbl intake/carb and a PG transmission. Is your car a '57 ??

PS. The more information (with photos?) that you provide with your questions, the better your answers/responses will be... I don't think we have any omniscient folks on this board...

Registered Member

Member #:625
    An original PP car will have brake and fuel lines ran down the outside of pass side frame rail. Inside on 6 bangers and two barrel non PP.

Registered Member

Member #:4238
    Thanks everyone. Yes the car is a 57. It didn't occur to me that this wasn't obvious I need to come up with a signature that says it all the time.

Odd about the fuel line and brake lines. Mine are indeed on the inside. I've also got dual exhaust but it probably wasn't originally so.

I really appreciate all this.
    Last edited by slantflat; 10-09-2019 at 08:19 AM.