Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 327 - what year is it?

Member #:1723

327 - what year is it?

Hi,
    I am trying to figure out what year the 327 in my Chevy is. When I had the heads off (long ago), I got the number off of the front engine boss on the passenger side, which is T0624HD. From that, I see the following as the choices for my 327 (first two rows in the following table):
    327 Chevy.jpg
    How do I find the date stamp on the block? I have tried to see the back of the block near the head on the passenger side, since I have read that is the stamp location, but it isn't easy to see much. Can anyone tell me where the stamp is, and has an image showing what they look like?
    Thanks, Doug

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Does it have a road draft/ pvc hookup behind distributer. If no its a 69 large journal. Date code is on top of block in bell housing area.

Member #:3217
    The date 'code' on a block is actually a 'cast date', and is cast into the block (raised) and not stamped in. It should be on the top of the block behind the passenger head...With a mirror and a flashlight, you should hopefully be able to read it if the engine isn't too nasty back there..

Registered Member

Member #:571
    The date codes are pretty simple. Example A 16 4. A would be January, 16 would be the day of the month, 4 would be the last digit of the year. You also need to know the casting number.

There is only one casting number I know of that lasted over 10 years, and that's the 3970010 350 block. They were made from 69-80. So you need a block stamp code to separate 69-70 from 79-80.

Thanks gentlemen!
    I will do some delving into the dark recesses again. Rick, I was thinking the date would give me a unique answer by eliminating all but one outcome? Where is the casting number you mention?
    Thanks, Doug

Member #:1653
    If a mirror fits, use your cell phone an take a pic

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Quote Originally Posted by Belair-o View Post
    Thanks gentlemen!
    I will do some delving into the dark recesses again. Rick, I was thinking the date would give me a unique answer by eliminating all but one outcome? Where is the casting number you mention?
    Thanks, Doug
    Do what I said first it is easiest. Another thing a 69 has a thicker balancer than the early small journal. Ones about 5/8 vs 1.25 thick.
    Last edited by markm; 10-12-2019 at 08:54 AM.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    The casting number is on the "shelf" just in front of the bellhousing mounting flange on the driver side. The date code is on the passenger side "shelf".

Don't be misled by harmonic balancer thickness. The "special high performance" 327s (340 hp and up) had the thickest 8" harmonic balancers of any SBC. But most 327s had thin 6" balancers. And it's very easy to change the balancer.

I took some pics of the date code area - I assume this is it? Not that I can make out what the characters are:
    2019-10-12_10-19-35.jpg2019-10-12_10-20-12.jpg2019-10-12_10-20-50.jpg
    Thanks, Doug

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Does it have a road draft/ pvc hookup behind distributer. If no its a 69 large journal. Date code is on top of block in bell housing area.
    I looked, and I don't see a draft tube, or pcv hookup behind distributor.
    Thanks, Doug

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast