Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Timing Light for MSD RTR distributor?

Member #:1723
    Hi Rick,
    Yes, the MSD tech made that same parallel between the MSD RTR and the HEI distributors. I will be using the Innova light, though like you said earlier, I may not know if it is wrong. I guess I can verify, as I did establish TDC with a piston stop, and have a balancer cover with timing markings - no, I still won't know, IF the light doesn't strobe correctly. I do figure I am good with this setup, the odds are in my favor.
    Regards, Doug

Member #:3718
    If you know a positive TDC then you should be able to verify the light. On the other side I agree with some others here - just don't use the dial back portion of the light, set it on zero and set your timing. Dial backs are just a convenience item anyway. As to other lights as a reference, I have two battery powered lights that are identical and a MSD timing light. The battery powered units do not match each other, one is about 2-2.5 degrees off from the other one. I only use the one that matches the old MSD light now. Point being that even right out of the box you never know whether what you have is any good or not unless you can check it against another one. China Syndrome.
    Remember the "13"

Member #:1723
    Just to confirm what some of you said - the Inova timing light worked great on my MSD RTR distributor (no MSD box). I had never used a dialback light before, and really liked it. During the activities of the first startup after engine reassembly, so nice to set the degrees on the light, and then just make sure the the 0 mark on the balancer lined up with the pointer, instead of trying to see what line on the balancer matches 10 degrees. Just made it easier, IMHO. Regards, Doug

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12