Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Relocating brake master cylinder off firewall

Member #:2442
    Probably not room under the dash for these but another option to keep the master cylinders out of the engine compartment.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/AFCO-...2-1,38822.html

Banned

Member #:2941
    Thanks to all who have posted here! Excellent ideas and I really appreciate the pics. Regarding the hydroboost option...... All of them I have seen in OEM installations have the cylinder on the engine side and I was going to ask if the unit can be clocked (rotated) so as to move the cylinder away from the engine to gain clearance. Thanks to Laszlo for pics of hydroboost with cylinder in 2 o'clock position......

I might mention that besides retro-fitting a hydraulic master and slave cylinder to operate the clutch (bad knees + Langdon split exhaust manifolds drop right into the OEM '57 mechanical clutch linkage)...... I am looking at ways of adding a servo assist (booster) to the hydraulic clutch setup, as well. Might consider hydroboost for both brakes and hydraulic clutch if there is room to do so. Have no plans to add power steering to the '57, but could mount a power steering pump just to serve the 2 hydroboost units if I go that way. What do you think?

Found some pics of mods to my 2-piece intake on another thread. This should give you an idea of how it is configured. You can click on the pics to enlarge them and get a better look.

Inboard half is unmodified......

Outboard half is modified to fit downdraught carbs......

Each half of intake spaces it 5" out from where it bolts up to the 292 head, so need 10" side clearance on drivers side (plus) to clear brake master cylinder......

https://www.speed-talk.com/forum/vie...52194&start=30

Best regards to all,

Harry

P.S. >>> I will also take a look at relocating pedals and master cylinders under toe boards. But if I can work out clearance issues whilst keeping hanging pedals on firewall, will do that. Thankfully, the engine will torque over towards the passenger side under hard acceleration. But with the 292 trial fitted, I have less than 1/2" clearance from Weber intake to OEM '57 (non-power) brake master cylinder with 292 engine in same position as the 235 it will replace. And that is without allowing much needed space to fab and mount throttle linkage for the 3 Weber carbs.

FWIW...... With this type intake on an inline 6, carbs must be mounted with throttle shafts parallel to the crankshaft. And in order to position fuel bowls of the DCNF carbs inboard so adjusting screws will be outboard and accessible, the direction of linkage pull must change 90 degrees (from front to back and then to outboard side pull)...... And then reverse 180 degrees in the side pull to allow mounting carbs with floats inboard.

I may be able to 'fudge' a bit when fabbing the front engine mounts to shift the 292 an additional 1/4" towards the passenger side, but that's about it without butchering the firewall and trans tunnel. In any case...... It will be tight with both intake and exhaust on the drivers side. But I'll get it done one way or the other. Many thanks for your help and ideas, guys!
    Last edited by enigma57; 10-29-2019 at 09:13 PM.

Banned

Member #:4739
    Quote Originally Posted by Custer55 View Post
    Probably not room under the dash for these but another option to keep the master cylinders out of the engine compartment...
    There's also the option of relocating the master cylinder and booster (for whoever is using one) somewhere else in the vehicle. Some sportscars used to and maybe still do mount a sort of primary master cylinder at the pedal of which operates the secondary master through a slave cylinder. The system operates like a hydraulic-operated clutch. But, instead of having the clutch, the secondary master cylinder fitted in its place.
    Here's an example on a Jaguar. I'm assuming that the right-hand drive versions keep the secondary master right where this one has it, simultaneously being operated by the primary master of which would have been located on the opposite side of the firewall where the pedal assembly would otherwise have been mounted:

Case in point: I've got this small 3-wheeler of which the brakes need a boost, especially when the vehicle's loaded:

What i now have is a single circuit master cylinder operating the reaqr wheels. What I want to do is to mount a vaccuum contraction tank and a remote master cylinder with booster outside of the cabin underneath. The set-up would look sort of like the following. This is also my current master cylinder of which I plan on using it as the primary:

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Al_Dente; 08-30-2021 at 02:04 AM.

Member #:3217
    Welcome Al Dente! we're glad to have you hear and look forward to your posts about your '56's in Germany!

Banned

Thanks for the welcome. I didn't have any American cars here.
    My Chevies were my first cars. I bought the rustbucket Bel-Air at 15. It looked like an elderly person's car. nothing at all was modified. The engine ran as smooth as silk, until I attempted quieting down the tappet noise, through messing with the rocker adjustment. It never ran smooth since. There was plenty of crust under the valve cover. So, I suspect that poil changes didn't take place routinely. Then again, it didn't have a PCV valve yet.
    Before I got my license, I used to get a kick out of starting it up and driving it up and down the driveway. The tube radio sounded better than anything newer. I can remember the hefty bass tone. I would munch on Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, while sitting in the car listening to the radio. Even, during that year's Michigan winter.
    I then saw an add in the newspaper for a 210 body sitting in Troy, not that far from my parents house. It was supposedly a Tennessee body. It was pretty much rust-free with light surface rust spots. It had been primered. I can't remember if the primer covered the original paint or had the previous owner primered a sanded-down car.
    I then rented a cherry picker and dropped my drivetrain into the body shell, as well as mounting the Bel-Air trim.
    A buddy of mine on the next block got the original 265 from me. He might still even have it. I've got his adress, if anyone's interested. I replaced it with a 283 of which I can't remember as to where I got it from. I rebuilt it in highschool voc auto and dropped it in. I never finished the car.
    One day, a co-worker's girlfriend wanted to drive it. She immediately wrecked my front end. I then bought one from a '55 of which the owner didn't need anymore, since he mounted a fiberglass '55 front end on his gloss black 2-door. I can't remember if it was a sedan or not. I'm almost sure that his was a hard-top. He ran a built 302 in it. It also got up and ran pretty good.
    I was just driving it and even delivered pizzas in it. I eventually sold it as a basket case, before going to Europe.
    I had pleasant memories, during owning it
    Last edited by Al_Dente; 08-30-2021 at 09:19 AM.

Banned

The following weirdo car has its master turned 90° sideways:

Attached Images Attached Images

Banned

Here's another solution on what looks to be an unfinished project: https://www.trifivechevys.com/showth...ighlight=Nomad

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12