Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Classic Edge Designs, LLC Prime Custom Cars, LLC MadMooks
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is your homeowners insurance paid up?

Member #:530

is your homeowners insurance paid up?

Living in fire season here in SoCal. Finding out lots of people aren't keeping their homeowners insurance paid up...as they lose their homes to fires.
    Case in point...my sister...who's mobilehome was one of 15 that didn't burn in the Calimesa fire 2 weeks ago...but might as well have...with the smoke and other damage all around her place. She wasn't paid up. "too expensive" she said...

Moral of the story is that if you have ANY equity in your home (assuming you own it)...keep that policy paid up.

Otherwise you lose everything AND have no payout coming in...

Today is particularly brutal with winds. Already one big fire burning in the hills of Simi Valley. Reagan Library in jeopardy. probably will burn all around it and keep moving southwest (with the winds).

Hang onto your butts folks.
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Member #:115
    My wife is an independent insurance agent and she's getting all sorts of warnings from insurance companies to not write any new policies in California. I'm reading that a lot of this is caused by city/state governments not allowing sufficient clearing of trees around power lines and not funding fire mitigation activities. Their drought problems have been a result of not allowing new reservoirs. Extreme environmentalism is a symptom of libtardism. I just hope the fires don't send millions more people to other states.

One of the areas in eastern Montana where we were trying to buy property has fires every year that burn fairly large areas. We have fires here that the USFS just seems to "play" with and don't really try to put out. In the past three years I've been burned out of my elk hunting area twice and the fires ended up to be over 20,000 acres. Up there, the firefighters hit every fire right away with all they have to try to put them out. I've been nervous about buying property in that area because once it burns, the value plummets. We looked at a 679 acre place with a 3 bedroom home for around $660K but it was 90% burned except for immediately around the home and the owners just wanted out of there. Another parcel of 640 acres with a home and barns is selling for around $650K....almost all burned. It takes decades for forests to recover.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

You can see my 56 Nomad build here http://www.picturetrail.com/chevynut

For affordable C4 Corvette Suspension conversions for your car, visit http://www.classicedgedesigns.com

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax

Member #:3611
    A good friend has a shop about 2-3 miles from the Reagan Library and he says the wind and smoke is so bad he can't see the front edge of his hood while driving ..... his shop is safe at the moment but his house is in the evacuation zone and it doesn't look good

Member #:33
    sad, be safe out there everyone.
    ARMY NAM VET, very proud!

56 210 4dr

drive and enjoy them while you work on them, life is to short.

Member #:2941
    Sorry to hear of this. Yes, I have heard that in recent years, the conditions Laszlo mentioned (neglect of basic common sense fire prevention measures) have contributed to this sad state of affairs.

California is a naturally beautiful state. Its really a shame what has happened there and in other states where like minded politicians run the show. I loved the years I spent in the San Diego area whilst in military service. But the way things are now...... I wouldn't live there even if I could afford to. I'd rather just remember it as it was in the '60s, '70s and early '80s.

Happy Motoring to all,

Harry
    Last edited by enigma57; 10-30-2019 at 03:56 PM.
    'G-d Bless The U.S.A.'...... Lee Greenwood......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_5aoptI5j0

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by enigma57 View Post
    California is a naturally beautiful state. Its really a shame what has happened there and in other states where like minded politicians run the show. I loved the years I spent in the San Diego area whilst in military service. But the way things are now...... I wouldn't live there even if I could afford to.
    A couple of decades ago I was working in R&D for Hewlett-Packard in Fort Collins, CO. One of the managers at HP Labs in Palo Alto was visiting and offered me a job there if I would move to California.....I told him I had no interest in moving. He said "I can make it worth your while" and I told him that he couldn't pay me enough to live there. End of story. LOL
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

You can see my 56 Nomad build here http://www.picturetrail.com/chevynut

For affordable C4 Corvette Suspension conversions for your car, visit http://www.classicedgedesigns.com

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax

Member #:516
    We've had quite a few fires and now PG&E (pacific gas and electric) is shutting down peoples power a lot. My dad's power has been out for 7 days now, he fortunately has two generators. He has to get up at 6:00 am in the morning to turn them on and turn them off at 10:30 pm and he's 80 years old. My work's power was out for three days the beginning of Oct and was out this Monday and Tuesday. That's about 4000 people unable to work. PG&E had an executive party during the first outage and who knows about this one. People are getting really SICK of the Upper level Exec's!!!!

ps This is why I have an escrow acct to pay my insurance and taxes, it would be my luck that I'd forget and my house would burn down.
    Last edited by Troy; 10-30-2019 at 04:21 PM.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    California has had an acute fire problem for several years in a row now.

Just what changed to make the power company turn off the power in advance this year? Politics of course.

Member #:516
    They are trying to reduce the chance of power lines failing and causing fires. We've had some pretty high winds which is why they are shutting off the power. Some people think they are being assholes because of all of the lawsuits filed against them!! I don't know but it makes you wonder!!

Registered Member

Member #:571
    The risk for a live power line going down and causing a fire is not new this year. It's always been there, especially if power lines are not clear cut away from brush.

I heard yesterday the reason for the power outages was because of the felonies they were charged and convicted of in the Paradise fire last year or the year before.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast