Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Clocking the steering rack on a C4 conversion frame

Member #:115
    Today I said screw it and figured this rack wasn't worth anything to me if I couldn't turn the cylinder. I have been afraid of breaking the aluminum housing and had the rack clamped in my vise at the mounting boss. I put what I thought was a lot of torque on it with a pipe wrench but couldn't get it to turn. I decided to clamp the aluminum housing right next to the cylinder and force it until it either rotated or broke. It finally rotated with a lot of force on the pipe wrench. I almost had to get a cheater bar.

I almost decided to rotate it so the fittings faced out the BACK of the rack until I realized it wouldn't work because one fitting would hit the rack mount bracket k-member. So I rotated it forward almost 90 degrees.

Now I need to figure out the plumbing for the lines and notc.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:2442
    Just thinking you could contact Turnone steering or someone else that rebuilds the Corvette racks to see if they have any ideas.

On the steering rack subject I also have a question. Which fitting on the rack is for the pressure line from the pump and which is the return line?
    Thanks, Brian

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member

Member #:3334
    Quote Originally Posted by Custer55 View Post
    Just thinking you could contact Turnone steering or someone else that rebuilds the Corvette racks to see if they have any ideas.
    I did contact Turn One and their response was $200 to reclock the housing after a $225 plus parts rebuild. They weren't interested in revealing how to do it yourself

Welcome to the site SlyFry. I contacted Turn One via e-mail and they never replied. I didn't try to call them.

It's not too hard to clock the rack yourself, but sometimes the housing won't turn easily. I have done two myself. All you need is a pair of vise grips with a sharp end. Paul pretty clearly described how to do it at the beginning of this thread. Grab ahold of the "rivets" holding the cylinder housing to the aluminum casting with the vise grips. Turn counter-clockwise and pull. The "rivets" have a steep knurl or thread on them and they will come out if you get a good grip on them. Remove the stainless lines if you haven't already done so.

Next, put the aluminum housing in a vise close to the steel cylinder so you don't crack it, protecting it from the vise jaws. Get a pipe wrench and put it on the cylinder and rotate it forward. Put some tape or use a piece of aluminum to protect the cylinder. If it doesn't go easily, you may need some penetrating oil or just push harder. I had trouble with both of them I did until I really pushed hard, then they turned.

Once you have the cylinder rotated, get a drill bit of the appropriate size (I don't remember what I used). Make sure it's smaller than the OD of the rivet so it can cut new "threads". Put grease on the drill bit and being very careful to clean the chips off now and then, drill both holes. Then all you have to do is drive the "rivets" back in with a hammer.

I'm not sure how Paul (Wagoncrazy) was able to flare the stainless lines to fit, because I wasn't able to do that. I made new lines for mine.

20161028_014.jpg
    Last edited by chevynut; 02-24-2017 at 07:49 AM.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member

Member #:532
    Mine was very difficult to turn as well. Finally with a vise and a large pipe wrench I was able to turn it. The drilling and re-pin were no issue at all.

Registered Member

Member #:3532
    New guy here.
    Wagoncrazy and Chevynut thanks for the great info! This is exacly what I was looking for. Chevynut, that is a sweet setup!
    Doug

Member #:530
    Welcome 56CAD. I'm almost embarrased to say that my Nomad is still not yet on the road. But I'm gettin' there... Time and money, time and money...

Start a new thread build and post some pics of yours so we can be helpful.
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Quote Originally Posted by 56CAD View Post
    New guy here.
    Wagoncrazy and Chevynut thanks for the great info! This is exacly what I was looking for. Chevynut, that is a sweet setup!
    Doug
    Welcome to the site 56CAD and thanks. I've made two sets of the rack lines now. Not too difficult to do, just takes a little time. I used part of the stock stainless lines, silver-soldered modified stainless fittings onto them, and just made up new teflon flex lines for the rest.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member

Member #:3532
    Chevynut,
    Where did you get your new power steering lines? That is exactly what I need to do to mine. I have the rack clocked 90 degrees forward, but, now I need new lines with fittings that work. Help!
    Doug

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast