Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FINALLY got my 55 in the body shop after finding one, but had to wait in line.

Banned

Member #:2775

FINALLY got my 55 in the body shop after finding one, but had to wait in line.

Long story getting to this point, but I finally got my 55 to a body shop. Had it picked up yesterday with a tow truck, and earlier today I made a 100 mile round trip to pick up a couple front floor pans. Just went and dropped them off, and was surprised they were working on it, and had most of the body shell sanded down for epoxy already. Still a long ways to go, but it's off to a start now, and I don't have to work on it for a while, plus I got more room in the garage for the winter. I'm just having them get the main shell in primer, and straightened up for now. I will worry about paint after the car is more complete, and mostly drivable.
    I was afraid it was going to get shoved off into a corner like the last shop, that ended up just storing it for a year, with stuff piled on top of it. Then I fired them. Gave them $200 for storing it though.
    IMG_7210.JPGIMG_7225.JPGIMG_7226.JPG
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 11-27-2019 at 02:45 PM.

Registered Member

Member #:3477
    RD

Looks good. If I remember correctly that old girl was a bit rough when you found her.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by scorpion1110 View Post
    RD

Looks good. If I remember correctly that old girl was a bit rough when you found her.
    Thanks. I'm actually using 2 old girls, and trying to make one that looks a bit younger, with bits and pieces of both! With less junk in the trunk.
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 11-27-2019 at 02:41 PM.

Registered Member carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)'s Avatar

Member #:33
    looks like its off to a great start, that shop is good. i see you got the security guards out there too.
    ARMY NAM VET, very proud!

56 210 4dr

drive and enjoy them while you work on them, life is to short.

Banned

They are moving right along, after only a month. About up to the first $1000 bill, and I will just have them keep going until I don't want to pay anymore. Wish I could getting painted while it's there, and blown apart, but I don't want to try and work around new paint, since there is still a of lot fabrication to do. I need to put the car together loosely once, then blow it back apart. Thinking maybe paint on the cowl/dash, etc. so I wouldn't have to pull the engine back out anyway. I'm sure I'll scratch the crap out of that most likely.
    IMG_7437.JPGIMG_7436 (1).JPG

Registered Member

Looks good RD

It might make sense to have them cut it in if you know your colors. My wagon was painted when I got it and I have had to do a lot of work including some fab and despite my best efforts have chipped the hell out of it. I have gotten pretty good as fixing the chips but its still a pain.

Nothing that ticks me off more is when I chip it.

S

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by scorpion1110 View Post
    Looks good RD

It might make sense to have them cut it in if you know your colors. My wagon was painted when I got it and I have had to do a lot of work including some fab and despite my best efforts have chipped the hell out of it. I have gotten pretty good as fixing the chips but its still a pain.

Nothing that ticks me off more is when I chip it.

S
    I hate picking a color, but I'm leaning towards non-metallic Glacier blue/Ivory.

Registered Member

Black exterior and red interior works every time.

I love black cars.

Member #:530
    looking good RD.
    you mentioned:
    I need to put the car together loosely once, then blow it back apart.
    I have taken that strategy with my Nomad build and man...you lose alot of years when you do it this way. Time just has a way of marching on without your plans. Stay at it...don't stop till it comes back apart and final paint is applied, then reassembled. You can do it.

keep posting the progress pics. its motivating to others to see that.
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Member #:3217
    Your car is looking fine even now, RD!

and I have to concur with part of what scorp said... Red interiors make any color look good ... (but I can't go along with the black exterior... I've had ONE black car and swore I'd never have another!

Red interiors even make green and blue cars POP... as well as red, white, silver, and black!~

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast