Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: Generator issues

Registered Member

Member #:4280

Generator issues

So I recently recieved a 55' 2 door hard top from my dad, since his license was taken away from him. About a month ago the generator light came on, but it was very dim, but would get brighter as i revved the engine. With the engine running battery voltage is 12.5v, using a volt meter across the two terminals on the generator is 6-7v. I get 14v out of the generator and the voltage regulator on the volt meter when I ground the volt meter to the body. I took the generator apart, brushes look good, good spring tension, armature looks good, I cleaned everything and put it back together. Pulled the voltage regulator apart cleaned the contacts and terminals to the regulator. I was told to try and polarize the generator and regulator, I tried that with no positive results. When I was checking the running voltage after doing all of that, I tried to turn the headlights on to see if anything would change with the generator light, but now I have to headlights, brake lights or tail lights, and well right now I'm absolutely lost...…

I got the car from my dad like I stated earlier in the post and I would go back to him for help, but he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's and well he doesn't remember much of anything technical with the car. I was a mechanic for about 10 years, but for some reason I cant grasp the old timey electrical stuff. Thanks for any help

Member #:3217
    The first thing I would check is the fuse panel for 'lights'... pull the fuse and check it. The fuse panel is in the drivers footwell under the dash to the left.

Registered Member

Yeah that’s what I’m gonna check out tonight, I’m also gonna trace the power wire to the regulator to check the connection on the other end

Registered Member

Ok fixed the headlight issue, the power wire came off the ignition switch, but it didn’t fix my charging issue. I’m reading 12v into the regulator, 14v at the armature on the regulator, 7-10v at the field terminal on the regulator, 14v from the armature post to ground on the generator, 7-10v from armature to field on the generator. Bad regulator??

Member #:615
    Your car is already modified. My recommendation would be to replace the generator with an alternator with built in regulator.
    American Auto Wire sells this Harness. Alternator Conversion Harness Part #: CE55004 V8, w/internal regulator alternator. Note: This harness is used along w/the existing stock harnesses. Note: Can only be used w/1985 and earlier "SI" series alternators $55.00
    It is not a lot of trouble to switch. It charges better than a generator.