Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: Posi unit ID

Member #:516

Posi unit ID

Hello All,

I picked up a really clean third member for my '55 from a guy and he threw in a '55-64 posi spool with it FOR FREE!! It's a C-30743 unit, I'm trying to figure out the year it's from can anyone tell me how to figure this out? Thanks

Registered Member

Member #:571
    A C-30743 posi unit is a 60-64 model with the left hand screws holding the case halves together, along with 10 clutches. It's a 3 series if my info is correct.

If you need a 3 series posi this is the preferred one. Fit in the 3rd member housing is the same for this one or the 57-59 unit - you have to remove a rib unless you have the "P" housing.

There should be a date code on it somewhere to identify the exact year.

Thanks Rick, I really appreciate your knowledge. I've looked for a date code but I'll try again. Thanks again!!!

Hello, I was unable to find a date code, but I'm not really sure what it would look like. One picture has a stamped number on it. The number is "11 28 7 B" and the other has a circle with a hex dividing the circle into a six piece pizza with either a 1 or an I. Anyone know if either of these are date codes? Thanks

20191225_163419_resized.jpg

20191225_163252_resized.jpg

Registered Member

Member #:571
    The unit I have that's similar to yours has a "2" stamped next to the circle with 6 lines in it, and an "X" in the same place as yours.

The other half has "1105 A" stamped in it where you found your code. If that's a date code on either one I don't know how to decipher it.

All the info I have points to both mine and yours being 60-64 posi units.

Thanks again, I appreciate it!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    A C-30743 posi unit is a 60-64 model with the left hand screws holding the case halves together, along with 10 clutches.
    Rick I put mine together loosely today, it doesn't have left hand screws, it has 3/8-24 UNF right hand with 1/2" hex heads (not the usual 9/16"). I also think they are case hardened. Everything went together well. When I get enough extra cash I'll completely rebuild it.