Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Classic Edge Designs, LLC Prime Custom Cars, LLC MadMooks
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Things that are not right.

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by busterwivell View Post
    I'd rather use a 7/16 socket than, say, 13mm. I hate that I have to have both sets.
    Why? They both fit the bolts they're designed to fit on. I use a 13mm when I need to remove a bolt or nut that's 13mm. I agree with you about having to have both sets. That's why they should have changed to metric many decades ago.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

You can see my 56 Nomad build here http://www.picturetrail.com/chevynut

For affordable C4 Corvette Suspension conversions for your car, visit http://www.classicedgedesigns.com

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax

Member #:3477
    My vote is Whitworth.

The he!! with SAE and metric

Scorp
    Scorp

Rides:

1955 Chevy 2-door Wagon
    1967 MGB GT
    1970 Honda Trail 70
    1974 Yamaha 175 Enduro
    2004 Tacoma 4x4

I lost my best friend on 10/3/2018. Rest in Peace Dear Lucy. I miss you everyday.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Maybe we should have adopted the Metric system a 100 years ago, but only if we closed the borders to all immigrants at the same time. The first time I helped my Dad put bakes on this 68 Mustang (one owner) he did not even own metric tools and we did not need them. FYI some later model cars still use SAE fasteners along with metric.
    Last edited by markm; 12-30-2019 at 04:54 PM.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    I had to quit complaining about it a long time ago, otherwise I'd have had no energy for productive things. The last company I worked for prior to retiring was European owned. All engineering drawings were required to be in metric by edict. Unfortunately some major suppliers still worked in English units. For those products the drawings had to be in both metric and English. Also the European and US standards for geometric tolerances are slightly different but use the same symbols - enough to cause trouble (as in doubling or halving the intended tolerance when the "other" standard was used). It was a lot of work to keep everyone (engineering/shops/inspectors) on the same intent. I worked there 14 years before the machine shop even had one manual machine tool with a metric dial or feed screw.

Wrenches are just the start. I must admit that when GM used both metric and US fasteners it was rather frustrating. I think they did that for 25 years or so.

Member #:2941
    No worries......

Just kidding,

Harry
    'G-d Bless The U.S.A.'...... Lee Greenwood......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_5aoptI5j0

Registered Member

Member #:3360
    Hey Harry is that metric or English?

Member #:115
    Good one Harry! But that one is English because it says "10 in." on it.

Even though a lot of things are now "metric", much of it isn't "hard" metric. What I mean is dimensions are converted like wheel lug patterns. Chevy used a 5x120.65mm pattern on the C4s wheels and apparently that's still the case on the C7s. That's really just 4 3/4" converted to metric. HARD metric would have been something like 120 mm or 12 cm. Camaros apparently changed to 5x120mm in 2010 and some other GM cars have that same pattern.

So why would the Corvette retain the "fake metric" while the Camaro changed to "hard metric" a decade ago? That's just dumb.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

You can see my 56 Nomad build here http://www.picturetrail.com/chevynut

For affordable C4 Corvette Suspension conversions for your car, visit http://www.classicedgedesigns.com

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax

Banned

Member #:2775
    Funny that now almost all American cars have several different sized metric bolt patterns, while most of the Asian imports are still 5x4.5 inches.
    It sure would make shopping for wheels a lot easier if there weren't so many different patterns, and then someone comes along with another new one never used before, like GM with a 6x132mm. Every time I find a wheel that I like with the offset I'm looking for in a 5x4.75, it is always only available in a 120mm, or a 4.5 inch pattern. No standard hub-bore diameter either. Another example of how if the world would all get together, it would save beyond trillions of dollars, and be a better much better place.. So, instead they just keep changing things so nothing can be fixed. Just throw it away, and buy more, and have more babies.
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 01-01-2020 at 10:31 AM.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    I called the Wagner Brake Tech line yesterday and they had no good reason why the bleeder screw was metric. All the threaded holes and mounting hardware are SAE.

Registered Member

Member #:4017
    In the Hardware, tooling and materials world the metric system has much LESS to offer. Metric don’t offer everything domestic system does. A base of something over three feet long is pretty dumb. Everybody even a child can picture an inch very accurately. And can show you between their finger and thumb almost exact. Not so much for 39 inches.

The slug is a bad example as nobody uses it. The metric newton is a total joke s/b kilogram meters. Makes no sense as it is not a factor of 10 in metric system.

Inches and Fahrenheit are pretty standard and so is driving on the left side of the car and keeping to the right on the highway. Do you wanna change that too?

Metric for the most part is based on ten but the magnitude of the measurement sucks. Take 7MM for example not very easy to picture 1MM at 7 times. A MM being only .0397” is just too small to stack up in one’s mind. But a 1/4” being only one section out of 4 parts making up an inch is easy to visualize.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast