Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Power Window Relays - Danger Will Robinson

Registered Member

Member #:3477
    CN, RD;

So if I dont go with the relay set up, I just split the one 25 amp circuit and feed each side? SPW gave me a diagram to use, but I got sidetracked to the relay discussion.

Sometimes you can overthink these things which I might be doing.

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpion1110 View Post
    CN, RD;

So if I dont go with the relay set up, I just split the one 25 amp circuit and feed each side? SPW gave me a diagram to use, but I got sidetracked to the relay discussion.
    Sometimes you can overthink these things which I might be doing.
    Yes you can power all windows from one source, using one fuse.

As I've said two or three times now , whether or not you can do it without relays depends on your switches. One side of the motor needs to be grounded, while the other side gets power or the motor to function. To reverse the motor, that polarity needs to be changed. In order for that to be possible your switches have to switch both power and ground. The original tri5 switches don't do that and you will need relays if you're using them. Again, which switches do you have? Did they come with the power window kit? If they came with the kit I'd wire it the way they recommend. I can't help you anymore without understanding what you're working with.

I wouldn't worry much about the voltage drop through good relays, so if that's the simplest way to wire them that's how I'd do it. Relays are used all over modern cars for all sorts of functions and they can switch a lot more current than power windows draw. And it's really not hard to troubleshoot problems with them. That said, if you don't need them I wouldn't use them.

Happy New Year!
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Banned

Member #:2775
    For reference, here is a typical 80's GM power window schematic, which is pretty simple by reversing polarity. Just follow the yellow brick road. With 2 windows it would be the just the right half of the drawing.
    IMG_7442.jpg
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 01-01-2020 at 04:22 PM.

Registered Member

CN, RD:

Here is the SPW Schematic:

Attachment 10407

Based on your thoughts, I am going to wire per their recommendation. The voltage drop wont have a measurable impact so the relays are probably not necessary. If they are I will just pull the kick panels and door panels and wire the relays.

I am definitely over thinking this. Much thanks for the help and the drawings. I think they will be a help if I need to rewire.'

Happy New Year,

S

Banned

I can see how it's confusing, since the SPW schematic leaves a lot to imagination. It doesn't show what's inside of anything, other than a couple black boxes with a bunch of terminals. It's just a wiring diagram is all. Just do it their way, and relays wouldn't work anyway with their setup.
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 01-01-2020 at 04:17 PM.

That is an awful wiring diagram. I can't even tell what's the motors and what's the switches. I assume the motors are the things with two leads, but that's a horrible drawing. The switches I assume are the two top things. There's no reason you can't wire in relays if you want to. All you need to do is figure out which terminals on the switches go to +12V when you push them up or down and use those signals in the diagram I posted. Pretty sure you could just cut the wires to the motors and use them as the "switch" wires in my drawing. But I don't know why you'd need relays.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Banned

The window motors are simply DC motors, and you just reverse the polarity for up/down. I actually have always preferred manual window cranks, which I even had in my 08 Silverado. Too bad there was never a standard which way to turn the crank for up/down, of which I always try and turn the wrong way.
    I wish somebody would come up with a 12 volt PLC (Programmable Logic Controller) to program the functions of a car with a laptop. A thought from years ago. There are millions of machines controlled with 24 volt PLC's, that you can watch, and program every input/output live and make whatever you want happen. How cool would that be?
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 01-02-2020 at 05:22 PM.

Registered Member

I ended up installing the PW because the regulators were shot. I figured it was just as easy and about the same cost to install the PW.

You guys have me comfortable on the non-relay wire, plus as CN points out I can always install the relays.

I am going to finish wiring them this weekend and see how they perform.

Quote Originally Posted by 55 Rescue Dog View Post
    I wish somebody would come up with a 12 volt PLC (Programmable Logic Controller)
    There's plenty of them available.

https://www.globalspec.com/ds/714/areaspec/power_12v_dc

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12