Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Triangulated rear w coil over and frame stiffening

Registered Member

Member #:2425

Triangulated rear w coil over and frame stiffening

Ay opinions on reasonably priced and effective triangulated rear suspensions and frame reinforcement options without full custom frame. Plan on using wagon for street only with modernized improved handling

Registered Member carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)'s Avatar

Member #:33
    not sure about suspension, but a shock bar is an upgrade to think about.
    ARMY NAM VET, very proud!

56 210 4dr

drive and enjoy them while you work on them, life is to short.

Registered Member

thanks

Registered Member

Member #:4017
    Quote Originally Posted by 57barnwagon View Post
    Ay opinions on reasonably priced and effective triangulated rear suspensions and frame reinforcement options without full custom frame. Plan on using wagon for street only with modernized improved handling
    Now that sounds like what a true hot rodder would do. Keep us posted.

Member #:1653
    Were I to start another trifive project under the premise of a criteria of "
    modernized improved handling
    ", I think consideration of the front suspension would be my starting point and then traversing to the rear of the vehicle in question. A Suspension System is comprised of both front and rear. The rear of a trifive continues to utilize a suspension style presently used on many vehicles today. FWIW, the front suspension, though equally important as the rear, gives far more driver feedback. JMHO, but a simple addition of new tires (not biased ply), shocks and the addition of an anti-roll bar (sway) post new suspension bushing replacement will make a world of difference. Sure, the Triangulated rear is an improvement to some degree but by itself, will not yield the results one may be looking for.

Registered Member

I did not mention I have already in my possession the sway bars and the tubular front a frames and front disc conversion; a new steering column, power steering box, regulator and dual master cylinder.

Member #:530
    I did not mention I have already in my possession the sway bars and the tubular front a frames and front disc conversion; a new steering column, power steering box, regulator and dual master cylinder.
    NickP has some very sound advice. Start with your front suspension upgrades and drive it a bit. Just the swaybar alone will calm that soft cushy front end down a bit.
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Registered Member

Ive picked up a explorer rear end with disc brakes and would like to fit up a 4 link as I replace the original unit. Likely coil overs as well in that I may want a bit wider tires and wheels. I have Helwig front and rear sway bars and need to know if they are compatible with a 4 link. Any experience with brands and models of 4 link units that fit and operate well? I’m also thinking of the summit frame reinforcement kit prior to stripping frame for either epoxy paint or powder coat. Any feedback on anyone’s experience with this $800 kit?

Member #:1707
    Re strengthening the frame. Morrisons supply their "center frame kit" unwelded. I have not used one of their kits but a glance at the kit shows me it is a lot more substantial that the summit kit. They have 2 kits - look at pages 35 and 50 of their online catalog. They have kits with and without the exhaust tubes and are priced around $300 up.
    Others here may have used them and might pipe in on how good they are.
    Cheers, Des

Member #:1653
    Quote Originally Posted by 57barnwagon View Post
    Ive picked up a explorer rear end with disc brakes and would like to fit up a 4 link as I replace the original unit. Likely coil overs as well in that I may want a bit wider tires and wheels. I have Helwig front and rear sway bars and need to know if they are compatible with a 4 link. Any experience with brands and models of 4 link units that fit and operate well? I’m also thinking of the summit frame reinforcement kit prior to stripping frame for either epoxy paint or powder coat. Any feedback on anyone’s experience with this $800 kit?
    You didn't show a picture of the particular frame reinforcing kit from Summit and I took a peak and am guessing it's the round tube unit in the neighborhood of 750 bucks. I steer away from it. It's members really add no torsional twist assist. Review the center section from Art Morrison. Now there's some stiffness and torsional assist. I liken the round tube unit to a flat popsicle stick fan. Take the sticks and turn them all 90 degrees, no twist to speak of. Simple physics. While you are researching, are you looking for triangulated or parallel 4 link systems? Both have positives and negatives but both require some real work for exhaust piping. Some four links require floor work. All parallel units require a location device to maintain rear housing location. Another interference item for exhausts. Your "Plan on using wagon for street only with modernized improved handling" should just consist of either a pocket kit if tire size needs to go big along with good shocks (get the best) rear spring replacing, shock bar and anti-roll bar properly sized - you save a ton of money, get done sooner and enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast