Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 57 2Dr Hardtop - Headliner installation

Member #:1723

57 2Dr Hardtop - Headliner installation

Hi,
    I have been working on putting in the headliner on my 57 2Dr. Hardtop, and wonder if any of you can give me some advice? The front half is in good shape, tight, with small minimal wrinkles, and pretty much ready for final stapling, but the back half is giving me trouble. The fit of the last two panels in the back, where the the roof rolls over toward the back window is not working out so well. Seems real hard to get the headliner to the back window tack strip, and to the side tackstrip without ending up with wrinkles and slack sections. Any tips/tricks from your experience?
    Thanks, Doug

Member #:615
    I checked youtube and found 2 videos on trifive headliner installation.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7LAIS8X45I
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHC9evR4_og&t=33s

They are both sedans so I don't know if that will help you.

Hi Tabasco,
    Thanks to you for searching, and for the two links. I have watched the Ciadella video many times before, and maybe because it is a sedan, I don't find help for dealing with the rear corners, or maybe it is just me. It is a good general help for the headliner though. The other one just dealt with the sedan pillar, so didn't think it moved the ball forward for me. I do appreciate your help! Thanks, Doug

Member #:896
    Using a air gun stapler helped me the most and the heat gun works good on small wrinkles. The rear corners just take a lot of time.
    Bill 1957-427-177-6-410

Member #:115
    Hey Doug, my interior guy lives in Berthoud and if you need an expert to take a look he might be willing to drop by and give you some tips. Let me know if you want his info.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Bihili View Post
    Using a air gun stapler helped me the most and the heat gun works good on small wrinkles. The rear corners just take a lot of time.
    I have the air stapler, just need to get a better guy doing the stretching - oops, that's me! I have been tepid on using the heat gun, from hearing the horror stories of melt throughs, but will try some more. Your statement that the rear corners just take a lot of time tells me to be patient, and persistent. Thanks! Doug

Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    Hey Doug, my interior guy lives in Berthoud and if you need an expert to take a look he might be willing to drop by and give you some tips. Let me know if you want his info.
    Hi Chevynut,
    I am interested, and would like to pursue your offer of his contact info.
    Thanks, Doug

Thanks to Chevynut for putting me in contact with his interior guy. To recap, I was pretty happy with how my headliner install looked, except for the rear corners. Try as I might, I couldn't get those wrinkles out:
    IMG_2465.JPG
    After the interior guy looked at my pics, he gave me a few tips:
    * In attaching the rear of the headliner to the rear tack strip, not only pull toward the window, but also pull toward the corners.
    * With my vinyl headliner, use heat on each wrinkled panel, starting from the front most wrinkled panel and working toward the rear. The heat makes the vinyl headliner more supple, and able to be more easily stretched.

Those tips were key! Having read plenty of advice to be careful in using a heat gun for fear of quickly blowing thru the headliner fabric, I had been too timid with the heat. I had a small piece of fabric that I had trimmed from the front, so I experimented with the heat gun on that piece to get an understanding about what the fabric could take. I also used a fine marker to draw a circle on the piece to see what stretching I could get. It could take quite a bit of heat, and would take quite a bit of heat to stretch the fabric. I didn't go crazy with the gun, but did heat it quite a bit more than I had previously. I also had to trim some of the listing pockets a tad more, because I was stretching more.
    After using the interior guy's tips, this is how the corners turned out:
    IMG_2484.JPG

Member #:530
    It looks great! Like it's supposed to look.
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Registered Member

Member #:1806
    Way to go Doug, it looks great!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast