Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: Passing it on

Registered Member

Member #:3682

Passing it on

My youngest grandson, almost 13, is turning into a car guy. He watches the auctions, views cars/drags on Youtube, and has many of the classics memorized. He's had his eye on an old basket case 55 210 del ray for a while. I've had for years, since 1988 I believe. We, my son, grandson and myself, are going to build it, and it'll be his car when he turns 16. He'll learn quite a bit, and I doubt there will be another one in his high school parking lot!

Since I've had the car for some time, I have collected quite a few parts for it, including a 2002 Camaro LS1/6speed, Camaro 12 bolt, dropped spindles and tubular A-arms, disc brakes, and an assortment of other parts and pieces. Looking forward to the experience!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #:3217
    I'm looking forward to that also, Dick! I was very impressed with his enthusiasm the other day when we were moving all that stuff!
    With you and Rich assisting him, I'm imagining that 55 going much farther/faster than you and he are imagining..

PS. Blake was really liking that 502? with aluminum heads that was on the run stand! Maybe he'll swap the LS1 for it?

PPS. Larry Watkins came down for a visit yesterday; we spent 5-6 hrs looking thru my junk and talking cars. He mentioned that he has a 'citation/celebrity' RnP steering mounted in rear steer arrangement in his '57 Nomad. I asked him if he has any issues with it and he indicated that other than a recent leak, he was happy with it... so maybe I was too negative when we talked about doing that to the '55 DelRay the other day? Anyway, I think you should take a deeper look before deciding what steering to put in the Delray...
    Last edited by BamaNomad; 02-20-2020 at 07:35 AM.

Registered Member

BamaNomad referenced a discussion we’re having on whether to use a steering rack or regular box on the 55. We’ve heard the turning radius isn’t that good with the rack and pinion steering behind the stock cross member.

i’d appreciate any comments from those who have a trifive with the rack behind the cross member. Are you satisfied with the conversion, and do you have any issues?

Registered Member

Member #:625
    The guys running the 500and 670 PS boxes all seem to be quite happy, a much improved product over the cobbled up 605/OEM box hybrid.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Most if not all rack and pinion conversions require shorter aftermarket steering arms to get full or nearly full turning radius. This also quickens the steering ratio to more like what you'd expect with an R&P conversion.

Sometimes these steering arms are included with a "kit". Sometimes they are offered separately. Other kits don't include them or even tell you that you might need them. Because they are typically a billet piece, they aren't cheap and they do add significantly to the cost.

Also you need to pay attention to whether your dropped spindles (if you have them) have full turning radius capability. Also some dropped spindles have a built in steering arm that can't be replaced or shortened (that's rare).

Any rack and pinion conversion is going to be more expensive and more trouble than a power steering box. At the very least, it's often hard to run the steering shaft around/through most of the headers on the market. People get fooled thinking R&P makes clearances to the exhaust easier because the box is gone.

Registered Member carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)'s Avatar

Member #:33
    a three generation project, very neat Richard.
    ARMY NAM VET, very proud!

56 210 4dr

drive and enjoy them while you work on them, life is to short.

Registered Member

Member #:4292
    Nice to see there still is a younger generation. Wanting to get involved in these classics most younghans nowadays want these imported drifter cars . Good luck on your build , And the memories that you and your grandson will have.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    Most if not all rack and pinion conversions require shorter aftermarket steering arms to get full or nearly full turning radius. This also quickens the steering ratio to more like what you'd expect with an R&P conversion.

Sometimes these steering arms are included with a "kit". Sometimes they are offered separately. Other kits don't include them or even tell you that you might need them. Because they are typically a billet piece, they aren't cheap and they do add significantly to the cost.

Also you need to pay attention to whether your dropped spindles (if you have them) have full turning radius capability. Also some dropped spindles have a built in steering arm that can't be replaced or shortened (that's rare).

Any rack and pinion conversion is going to be more expensive and more trouble than a power steering box. At the very least, it's often hard to run the steering shaft around/through most of the headers on the market. People get fooled thinking R&P makes clearances to the exhaust easier because the box is gone.

thanks for the input Rick. I did get dropped spindles years ago along with a CCI rack kit, sounds like we need to verify they are compatible.

Member #:3249
    Happy to hear about your Grandson's interest. My son-in-law has been going to Good Guys shows with me for quite some time, and got the bug. We've built up a 67 Malibu wagon he took to Good Guys for the first time last March. He brought his son, my Grandson, with him. Johnathan was excited. He was 11 then. He wants an El Camino. I've told him we'll help build it, but won't just buy him one. He's all in.

Member #:530
    Congratulations TriFiveRichard!
    Encourage the youth to be involved in wrenching. That's the only way we get paid back for this investment of money and time in these cars...when the next generation wants to buy them...
    Without that...they lose significant value as the next 30 years claims all us baby boomers.
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.