Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: 57 Nomad- Power windows & vent windows

Member #:530

57 Nomad- Power windows & vent windows

Anyone have good success with a particular manufacturers kit? Seems there are a few out there. Electric Life, Nu-Relics, AutoCityGlass, etc. Some appear to be "universal", while others are a direct bolt on.

I'm interested in a kit that:
    -is more or less a direct bolt on.
    -eliminates the window crank handles completely (using electric switches only)
    -has both the window and vent (so I'm NOT interested in eliminating the vent wind wing)
    -has a strong track record for durability

Found this one sold by Auto City Glass $750 includes both the power window and power vent window kit

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1955-1957-C...UAAOSwJAxeNDxW

Anyone else have good success with another kit? Anything in particular I should be avoiding?
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Member #:1723
    Hi WagonCrazy,
    I have good results from the Specialty Power Windows made-for kit for my 57 2dr hardtop. I did both the front windows, and the rear quarters (I left vent windows as hand crank). The install was straightforward, and when I did have a question about an adaptation I was considering, technical phone support was very good. The hardware is quality, and I am very happy with how the windows work.
    For my install, I did end up using the window switches that masquerade as hand crank window handles (FWIW). There are pro's and con's to that decision.
    Regards, Doug

Registered Member

Member #:3477
    Quote Originally Posted by Belair-o View Post
    Hi WagonCrazy,
    I have good results from the Specialty Power Windows made-for kit for my 57 2dr hardtop. I did both the front windows, and the rear quarters (I left vent windows as hand crank). The install was straightforward, and when I did have a question about an adaptation I was considering, technical phone support was very good. The hardware is quality, and I am very happy with how the windows work.
    For my install, I did end up using the window switches that masquerade as hand crank window handles (FWIW). There are pro's and con's to that decision.
    Regards, Doug

Same here. I have specialty power windows in the wagon. Its a well made kit.

Scorp

Member #:530
    Thanks guys. I'm still researching what's out there. Definatly going to go with a 4 motor kit (windows + vent wings).
    And I still need to get an electric door lock setup figured out.

At this point, I'm looking at the switch setups. I will end up with a fully customized interior in this Nomad. Will be designing/fabricating "pull handles" that are securely fastened to the inner door, that will need room for the window switches and power door lock switches mounted on them. Looking at illuminated styles (cuz it's nice to see them in the dark), and haven't figured out what finish style to go with. Thinking I want the chrome look that the rest of the dash has. Alot of newer switches are the black plastic look, which is fine...but nothing else in this custom nomad will match that on the interior...so thinking I want to try and stick with a more older school look. Lots of GM style chrome switches for sale online. No money for any of this right now, just doing the research...
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.