Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 5 of 40 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: 39 Ford Project

Member #:3217
    Brian,

That old Ford (as you obtained it) has shown us what rust, wrecks, and bad body repair over many years can look like.. But your work has shown us that *anything* can be repaired to look good if the bodyman knows what he's doing and puts in the time to do it..

Thanks for making these posts!

Member #:1723
    Brian,
    You are making a lot of progress! That is a lot of surface area to process, and the 'band-aid repairs' of the past sure raise the difficulty bar. Great job!
    Thanks for the posts, Doug

Member #:2442
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    Brian,

That old Ford (as you obtained it) has shown us what rust, wrecks, and bad body repair over many years can look like.. But your work has shown us that *anything* can be repaired to look good if the bodyman knows what he's doing and puts in the time to do it..

Thanks for making these posts!
    Thanks Gary,
    It sure was nice to find the hood in pretty good shape compared to the rest of the car!!

Quote Originally Posted by Belair-o View Post
    Brian,
    You are making a lot of progress! That is a lot of surface area to process, and the 'band-aid repairs' of the past sure raise the difficulty bar. Great job!
    Thanks for the posts, Doug
    Thanks Doug,
    I have to look at the messed up stuff as a good learning opportunity. Some of this stuff is bad enough it would be hard to make it any worse! lol.

Member #:3
    Hello Brian ,

looks very interesting what you have done to this 39 ford , Love the 2 dr Slant backs , Been looking for 35 or 36 2dr slant back . Please keep the updates coming your doing a great Job

Sid

1955 2 DR Post
    1937 Chevy Coupe
    2023 Ford Super Duty F350 TREMOR
    2019 Corvette Z06
    1955 Chevy Nomad
    1935 Ford 2dr Slant back I have 4

Quote Originally Posted by 567chevys View Post
    Hello Brian ,

looks very interesting what you have done to this 39 ford , Love the 2 dr Slant backs , Been looking for 35 or 36 2dr slant back . Please keep the updates coming your doing a great Job

Sid
    Thanks Sid,
    I will be on this project for quite a while yet so there will be more to come.
    Brian

Progress Update

Not too much progress to report. I've had a couple of other projects recently so not a lot done but still moving forward.
    Started on stripping the doors starting with the passenger side. They are pretty easy to get on and off right now because a while back I had driven out the hinge pins. So pretty easy to pop them out now to remove the doors.

Passenger side door with all the paint removed from the outer skin. Mostly in pretty good shape other than some small rust holes in the bottom that will need to be repaired. The inside moldings and window were a challenge to remove. Ford does some things quite differently than GM so it took a while to figure out how some of it came apart.

Back on the car it still fits pretty good. Once I get the inside of the door media blasted I will see how much rust repair this one will need.

So on to the drivers side door. You can see here where some had cut out and probably peeled back the inner structure to do a dent repair. Not a good sign.

Bottom of the door looks pretty solid though. I don't think there will be much rust repair to do on this one.

With the paint sanded off I found a lot of surfaced rust under the paint and a bunch of lead filler in the lower rear corner covering up some nice damage.

View of the damage from the inside. This will take some work to smooth out. One good thing though after removing the factory tar based sound deadener the metal is in great shape on the inside of the door.

So today while starting to work out the damage I decided to remove the diagonal brace from the door as it would be impossible to do it right with the brace still in place as the brace was in the way of getting at the lower rear corner of the door where some of the worst damage was.

With the brace out I will have much better access to the lower corner. I already started to put some heat on the damaged area as it will need some shrinking once the dents are hammered out anyway.
    More to come.
    Brian

Progress Update

So in between working on the passenger door and the drivers door I had done some cleaning and organizing of all the parts I have removed from the car so far. One thing that needed some repair before I put it away for now was the window crank mechanism for the passenger side rear window. These things are pretty cool how they work as the windows (both front and rear) slide backwards a couple of inches before the window goes down.

Passenger side mechanism is on the left. The arm with the big hook on it got bent and twisted at some point due to the widow glass getting stuck in the channels. I may have made it worse getting it out as it was stuck in there pretty tight.

From this view you can see how bent and twisted it is.

With a little help from the welding torch the arm is back where it belongs again.

So the next problem is to repair the teeth on the gear that got stripped out and damaged.

With a copper back up clamped in place I welded up the damaged area.

Then ground it down to the same thickness as the rest of the gear and to the outer diameter.

I had made a pattern of the opposite side of the gear with some card board and some spray paint.

Next I drew some lines on the pattern so I could layout where to file out the new teeth.

New teeth filed out. I mostly used a triangle shaped file to accomplish this. Not perfect but it works almost as good as new now.

Another view of the finished repair. Now I can store this thing away and it will be ready to go when I need it later.
    Next I will be back on the drivers door repairs.
    Brian

Member #:3217
    Brian,

Thanks for continuing to show us your work on the 39 Ford! More great work you've done, and I've never seen 'gear teeth' repaired before this.. neat job! You're gonna have a 'factory new' body shell to work with soon...

Gary

Member #:1723
    Brian,
    I picked up another 'trick' from you: using the other gear and spray paint to make your template was something I had never thought of. Simple, direct, and elegant!
    Thanks! Doug

Page 5 of 40 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast