Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 6 of 40 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: 39 Ford Project

Registered Member

Member #:571
    I continue to be impressed with your work on this car. Keep up the work, and the posts!

Member #:2442
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    Brian,

Thanks for continuing to show us your work on the 39 Ford! More great work you've done, and I've never seen 'gear teeth' repaired before this.. neat job! You're gonna have a 'factory new' body shell to work with soon...

Gary
    Thanks Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Belair-o View Post
    Brian,
    I picked up another 'trick' from you: using the other gear and spray paint to make your template was something I had never thought of. Simple, direct, and elegant!
    Thanks! Doug
    \

Thanks Doug, Ideally it would have been nice to have a reverse image of the gear pattern but it helped a lot to have the pattern I did.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    I continue to be impressed with your work on this car. Keep up the work, and the posts!
    Thanks Rick,
    There will be plenty of updates to come as I have lots left to do yet.

Progress Update

So after a bunch of hammer and dolly work and shrinking the door looks better that what I started with.

View from the inside of the door.

In the spot that someone had chewed out the inner structure and peeled it back I cut out that and another section to get that area of the door in better shape. I wasn't bad in that area but there was a bit of oil canning and a low spot that I think I have in a little better shape now.

Not perfect but it shouldn't take any more than a skim coat of filler now.

Now to get the inner structure back in place. The extra section I had cut out tacked back in place

All welded up and the upper part that was previously cut out straightened out but still in some need of fitting to the opening.

Fitted up and tacked in place

All welded up and the welds ground down. At least I don't have to grind these out perfect since they will be behind a door panel eventually.

With the door back on the car I can see I will need to tweak the back edge of the door to fit better to the quarter panel but the fit is pretty good otherwise. Still need to weld the lower brace back in but I want to media blast the rust off the backside and prime it as long as it is out of the door.

So that will be my next project is to start media blasting a bunch of stuff and getting some epoxy primer on them. Was going to start that today but the rain and drizzle put a stop to that since I have to do that outdoors. One of the first things to do will be the front fender inner panels. These don't look to bad after a good cleaning to get them ready to media blast. I ordered some Tamco Direct to anything epoxy primer so hopefully I will be trying that out soon.
    Brian

Member #:3217
    Brian, You should feel very good at the improvements you've done to the body metal of that car!! I can't wait to the see the finished and primed body... it's going to look very nearly to new..

Brian, You should feel very good at the improvements you've done to the body metal of that car!! I can't wait to the see the finished and primed body... it's going to look very nearly to new..
    Thanks Gary,
    I'm looking forward to the day it's done too!! Still a long way to go though.
    Brian

Progress Update

So this week I did some media blasting starting with the inner fenders and a Bitichin Products firewall & front floor board kit I had purchased probably over 20 years ago. They had been in bare metal for that long so they had some light surface rust that needed to be removed.

One side of one blasted and the other waiting for it's turn.

Back side of 1 done and about 2/3rds done on the other one before I ran out of daylight that night.

Yesterday afternoon the weather cleared up enough to get some epoxy primer on the parts for the front floor boards.
    I didn't have a good way to hang these up so I just laid an old tarp over the concrete slab outside of my garage so I could prime 1 side at a time.

Back side of the firewall primed.

This morning getting ready to prime the other side of everything.

Firewall ready to go.

Front floor board panels ready also.

Primer applied along with the brace from the drivers door.

Firewall and trans tunnel piece done.

Lower firewall pieces done and 1 coat on 1 side of one of the inner fenders. I had not planned on doing the inner fenders today because they still need some minor rust repairs but I had just a bit of paint left that I didn't want to waste. When I paint the next batch of part I will make sure to have some small parts prepped and ready to go just in case. First time using the Tamco direct to anything epoxy primer but it seemed to go on pretty nice even with my cheapie harbor freight spray gun I use for primer coats that will end up getting sanded out later anyway. Not ideal to spray with parts laying on the ground either but most of this will be welded in place and need to be re-primed later anyway. I just wanted to try out the primer and get a protective coating on everything for now.
    I think my next project will be setting up a better place to do the media blasting. I have been doing it in front of the garage with a big tarp laid out to catch as much of the media as possible but its a big pain to get set up each night and then clean up afterwords so I don't end up getting much done.
    Brian

Member #:3217
    you're still making progress, Brian! That's great..

I'm curious why you chose to use Tamco Epoxy primer? I'd never heard of it before reading your post....

you're still making progress, Brian! That's great..

I'm curious why you chose to use Tamco Epoxy primer? I'd never heard of it before reading your post....
    Thanks Gary,
    I looked at several different brands including SPI and Nason that I can get locally. Tamco is a family run company out of Virginia. https://tamcopaint.com/ It is very close to SPI price wise and has great reviews as well. Like SPI it doesn't need to be top coated so it's good for a long term project like this. It seems to spray good and lays out smoothly and dries to a satin to semi gloss finish. Hopefully I made a good choice!!
    Brian

Page 6 of 40 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast