Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Classic Edge Designs, LLC Prime Custom Cars, LLC MadMooks
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: 39 Ford Project

Member #:2442
    So I could paint the hood and the door that is ready to go I bought a couple of the folding work stands from Harbor Freight which worked out nicely.

Hood and door painted on the inside.

Hood and door flipped over to get a couple coats of epoxy on the outside.

The last part I have ready to go right now is the drivers side rear fender. Since this is lighter weight I hung it up so I could paint both sides at the same time.

A couple of coats of the 5311 Direct to Rust sprayed on. The direct to rust sprays pretty nice also but you do need to use a 1.8 to 2.0 tip depending on your mix ratio. You can use is as a sealer also by using more reducer. I dries fast and sands pretty easy as well.

Inside of the fender sanded out ready for epoxy. Just basically scuffed it good on the inside so any rust that was left would be sealed up well.

The outside I bock sanded it out to just leave the DTR in the rust pits and low spots.

And finally a couple coats of epoxy inside and out.

So after a couple of days of dry time I got the fender and door back on the car which is as good a place as any to store them for now. When I painted the hood, door and fender the weather had started cooling off and shop temps were just under 60 degrees. At that temp the parts seemed to be curing very slowly so I turned the furnace up to get just over 60 for a couple of days and they seem to be cured much better now so 60 degrees or over is what the shop needs to be for the epoxy. Our weather has really turned colder this week (30's and low 40's for highs for at least the next week). The rest of what I need to get in epoxy all needs metal work anyway so that works out ok. Hopefully we will have a warm spell later this month or early in November so I can get a few more parts done. I can turn the heat up in the shop if I need to but I prefer not to have the furnace running a lot when I am painting. I normally just keep the shop about 50 degrees of less during the winter months.

A couple of shots with the door and fender in place. Now on to more metal and rust repairs.
    Brian

Member #:3217
    Brian, your '39 Ford sure looks LOTS BETTER after all your body work and with the black epoxy on it now!

Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    Brian, your '39 Ford sure looks LOTS BETTER after all your body work and with the black epoxy on it now!
    Thanks Gary. It sure does look a lot better than what I started with. Still a bunch of work left though and lots of other projects around the house that need my attention too!!

Member #:1723
    Brian,
    Wow! You have come a long ways! Looks wonderfully smooth and restored. Very nice job!
    Regards, Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Belair-o View Post
    Brian,
    Wow! You have come a long ways! Looks wonderfully smooth and restored. Very nice job!
    Regards, Doug
    Thanks Doug, It's far from perfect but not too bad considering I have not used any body filler yet.
    Brian

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789