Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TH350 vs. TH400?

Member #:1723

TH350 vs. TH400?

Hi, I was prepping to install the speedo bullet housing in the tailshaft of my automatic transmission, and all of a sudden, I am confused about what transmission is in the car. The length of my transmission (21-3/4" from front of bell housing to rear of case) and the pan says it is a TH350:
    IMG_2527.JPG

But isn't this speedo housing in my trans for a TH400?
    IMG_2528.JPG
    I had purchased a replacement TH350 speedo bullet housing before getting under the car, but now see that won't work. I assume I need to order the seal kit for a TH400, and return the TH350 bullet. Also, I was going to order a replacement driven speedo gear while I was at it, but don't know if the (red) gear like I have is universal, regardless of which trans I have?
    Thanks, Doug

Registered Member

Member #:571
    You indeed have a TH350, and for whatever reason it has a TH400 style speedo drive. I don't know the answer to your question, but if you look up speedo gears at a website that sells them, you should be able to answer the question. TCI transmissions is a place that has speedo gears and related info.

Hi Rick,
    That is pretty weird that they cobbled on the TH400 tailshaft. Thanks for your help.
    Regards, Doug

Member #:516
    I have a 1968 Truck Turbo 400 in my '55, it has a bullet style speedo drive. Mine isn't in the tail shaft housing it's just up stream of the tail shaft housing in the main case.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    I have seen dozens if not hundreds of Th350s with that style of speedo, they came about in the late 70s when tall highways gears came common. I have switched tailhousings to the early style in the past nothing weird or strange here. The style you have is all I have seen on 700R4s prior to electronic.
    Last edited by markm; 03-23-2020 at 04:38 PM.

Interesting about the trany configuration variations. I had no idea from cruising the net that there were any variances.
    Regards, Doug

Registered Member

If I recall the th350s with big speedo drive th350s also have commie metric threads on rear motor mounts etc.

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    If I recall the th350s with big speedo drive th350s also have commie metric threads on rear motor mounts etc.
    Stinkin' commies!

FWIW, In case it helps someone down the road, or if I forget (with my oldtimer's disease) and want to know the answer next time I do the task:

I had asked how much trany fluid should I expect to dump when I pulled the speedo gear housing from my TH350? With the car level, I pulled the housing on a recon effort to see what parts I needed to try and seal the leaks, and dumped about 3 qts. of ATF. After plugging the housing back in the trany, and ordering/receiving the parts, I pulled the housing again, and this time got 1 qt. of ATF.
    Regards, Doug

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Belair-o View Post
    FWIW, In case it helps someone down the road, or if I forget (with my oldtimer's disease) and want to know the answer next time I do the task:

I had asked how much trany fluid should I expect to dump when I pulled the speedo gear housing from my TH350? With the car level, I pulled the housing on a recon effort to see what parts I needed to try and seal the leaks, and dumped about 3 qts. of ATF. After plugging the housing back in the trany, and ordering/receiving the parts, I pulled the housing again, and this time got 1 qt. of ATF.
    Regards, Doug
    Had it sat for a while and the convertor drained back the first time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast