Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 55 & 57 chevy frames

Member #:3217
    I've never seen an original frame with brackets/mounts for both auto trans shift and manual trans clutch. The factory seems to have done either one or the other, depending on what the car was specified for.

gmvette: I suspect your frame was swapped from another car and the required mount added by the owner at the time...

Registered Member

Member #:4017
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    I've never seen an original frame with brackets/mounts for both auto trans shift and manual trans clutch. The factory seems to have done either one or the other, depending on what the car was specified for.

gmvette: I suspect your frame was swapped from another car and the required mount added by the owner at the time...

No It does not have both. The rear tranny hanging mounts and linkage mount are not there. Definitely shows sign if you look close they were cut off. The automatic taken out was not the original 57 type. It was a Chrysler with an adaptor plate. But that wasn’t the topic of discussion so I didn’t mention it. The welded on brace for the clutch shaft was there. Original or not can’t say. But the position was right for the Z shaft to align with the ball studs threaded hole in the BBC.

Registered Member

Member #:4017
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    gmvette, I hate to have to call out on things like this, but just about everything you posted is false. Period.

Well this is the list of parts bell housing is 621 for 67 corvette, the clutch fork is 532751 64-67 corvette from Corvette Central, rod is 3872960, stud in block 3752863, stud from Corvette Central #532739 also 64-67 vette.

The Z arm as I said was swap meet and only thought to be 55. May be not but irrelevant since as I said I changed the arm anyway. As for the automatic tranny the rear side mount were removed. The tranny, was a Chrysler push button was a rear tail shaft mount. But that is also irrelevant to discussion.

Now if you don’t believe the action is comfortable to use and the pieces I use were mostly Corvette parts then so be it. I know my car fairly well as I did all the work. I tried to attach photo but not sure it shows much
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Gmvette; 04-16-2020 at 08:27 AM.

Banned

Member #:4739
    Quote Originally Posted by Gmvette View Post
    My 57 nomad was originally an automatic transmission. The original frame had the ball mount welded to the frame for standard shift Z arm for the clutch. I don’t know if they are all like this or not...
    The folowing Nomad owner says, the '57 frames were last production year oddballs:

Registered Member

Member #:4406
    The assembly 57manual gives a dimension from an imaginary line to the frame ball pivot. There is also a vertical dimension from this line to the lower steering box hole in the frame. Subtract the difference and you have the vertical dimension from the lower steering box hole to the ball pivot stud. Likewise there is a dimension from a tooling hole in the frame back to the pivot ball and a dimension from the tooling hole back to lower steering box hole. Once again subtract the difference and you have a "fore and aft" dimension from the lower steering box hole to the pivot stud.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Why would anyone go to the effort and expense of adapting a Dorkflight to a BBC. The Slowpar guys I know are jealous of the Alum PG and TH400 options available to Chevy guys.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12